Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Cosatto car seat

Are these seats allowed in the USA? Are they safe? Is there any truth to the chest clip being dangerous?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Cosatto car seat

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are these seats allowed in the USA? Are they safe? Is there any truth to the chest clip being dangerous?
    Just googled them, very cute! They're not legal in the US. US seats all have chest clips. Many other countries do not due to laws requiring a child to be able to be removed with one motion in an emergency. If the chest clip is used correctly, it's my understanding that they're safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well... that was fast!
    Baby #1 due 10/1/16

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

There are actually a couple of seats sold without cheat chest clips in the US (all very very expensive and sold by luxury car dealers.)

Chest clips are safe when used properly and should be used unless you have a reason not to and contact the manufacturer to get their approval for such use.

Can we help you with recommendations for a seat that's legal that will meet your needs?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 13, Bridget, 11, Maggie, 9, Katie Sue, 4
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Actually there is a hootle model by cosatto that is USA verified and meets safety standards

Unregistered

These Cosatto seats are so cute! I am tempted to order one. Is a police officer really going to stop you for using a seat that meets EU safety standards instead of US? Aren't the standards equally safe?

Actually there is a hootle model by cosatto that is USA verified and meets safety standards
    As far as I can tell this model is not legal in the US either.

These Cosatto seats are so cute! I am tempted to order one. Is a police officer really going to stop you for using a seat that meets EU safety standards instead of US? Aren't the standards equally safe?
    Technically you could get a ticket, though it's unlikely. A bigger issue is that these seats are outgrown very early and don't have features to take advantage of US options- it's safest to rear face until 2-4 and harness until around 5 1/2 to 7 when children are truly booster ready, with a top tether in use forward facing, and these seats can't do those things.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

8. Thank You from:

Unregistered

The infant carrier seats are for birth to 13 kg, or 29 pounds. 29 pounds is the weight of a typical two year old, so the infant seat is outgrown 6 pounds sooner than say a Cybex Aton, which holds a child up to 35 pounds. Unless the baby us exceptionally large the Cosatto should allow rear facing to age two. My baby is due January first so maybe by then Cosatto will have realeased a US version which will make it an easier decision. I went to look at baby items at Target and was a bit depressed looking at the car seat aisle that was nearly all gray and black. I know safety is the most important thing, but it seems like Cosatto has made safe seats that are also colorful.

The infant carrier seats are for birth to 13 kg, or 29 pounds. 29 pounds is the weight of a typical two year old, so the infant seat is outgrown 6 pounds sooner than say a Cybex Aton, which holds a child up to 35 pounds. Unless the baby us exceptionally large the Cosatto should allow rear facing to age two. My baby is due January first so maybe by then Cosatto will have realeased a US version which will make it an easier decision. I went to look at baby items at Target and was a bit depressed looking at the car seat aisle that was nearly all gray and black. I know safety is the most important thing, but it seems like Cosatto has made safe seats that are also colorful.
    Unfortunately, the thing is that they have short shells. Most seats, including those you mentioned, are outgrown by height well before weight is reached (and usually before one, let alone two.)

CPS Fanatic

There are much more colorful options online than at Target even for US seats. Are you looking for an infant seat or a rear facing convertible to start with?

Unregistered

I would like to start out with an infant seat- they seem so convenient with the carry handle and all. It sounds like I shouldn't expect one to last two years though? I certainly wouldn't be carrying it around with the little one in it that long, but I thought when it got too heavy to carry it could just be left in the car and used until the weight limit was reached. I didn't realize they could be outgrown by height before weight!

Oh yes, almost all seats are by almost all kids. Seated height/shell clearance is often first to be hit.

The only rear facing only seat that might really get many kids to 2 is the Chicco fit2, and even then a significant portion will outgrow before that.

In most cases, expect to get a rear facing convertible some time between 6 months and 18 months (depending on seat you choose and child size and build, though there are outliers in each direction- 2 of my kids outgrew a seat that usually lasts kids 9-12 months by 2 months, and I've seen kids fit the same seat at 20 months.)

Convertibles last much longer, many now allowing most kids to make it to the gold standard of 4 years or beyond rear facing. They are still usually outgrown by height before weight.

CPS Fanatic

For colorful infant seats, check out the Maxi Cosi Mico, the Graco Snugride Click Connect 30 LX, Britax B Safe 35. (This is not at all comprehensive, just what I found with some quick Googling. Note that I didn't include any Evenflo infant seats in this list. They have some great colors, but can be difficult to use correctly.)