Cosatto car seat

U

Unregistered

Are these seats allowed in the USA? Are they safe? Is there any truth to the chest clip being dangerous?

ADS

robbertbobbert

Are these seats allowed in the USA? Are they safe? Is there any truth to the chest clip being dangerous?

Just googled them, very cute! They're not legal in the US. US seats all have chest clips. Many other countries do not due to laws requiring a child to be able to be removed with one motion in an emergency. If the chest clip is used correctly, it's my understanding that they're safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are actually a couple of seats sold without cheat chest clips in the US (all very very expensive and sold by luxury car dealers.)

Chest clips are safe when used properly and should be used unless you have a reason not to and contact the manufacturer to get their approval for such use.

Can we help you with recommendations for a seat that's legal that will meet your needs?

U

Unregistered

Actually there is a hootle model by cosatto that is USA verified and meets safety standards

U

Unregistered

These Cosatto seats are so cute! I am tempted to order one. Is a police officer really going to stop you for using a seat that meets EU safety standards instead of US? Aren't the standards equally safe?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually there is a hootle model by cosatto that is USA verified and meets safety standards
As far as I can tell this model is not legal in the US either.

These Cosatto seats are so cute! I am tempted to order one. Is a police officer really going to stop you for using a seat that meets EU safety standards instead of US? Aren't the standards equally safe?
Technically you could get a ticket, though it's unlikely. A bigger issue is that these seats are outgrown very early and don't have features to take advantage of US options- it's safest to rear face until 2-4 and harness until around 5 1/2 to 7 when children are truly booster ready, with a top tether in use forward facing, and these seats can't do those things.

U

Unregistered

The infant carrier seats are for birth to 13 kg, or 29 pounds. 29 pounds is the weight of a typical two year old, so the infant seat is outgrown 6 pounds sooner than say a Cybex Aton, which holds a child up to 35 pounds. Unless the baby us exceptionally large the Cosatto should allow rear facing to age two. My baby is due January first so maybe by then Cosatto will have realeased a US version which will make it an easier decision. I went to look at baby items at Target and was a bit depressed looking at the car seat aisle that was nearly all gray and black. I know safety is the most important thing, but it seems like Cosatto has made safe seats that are also colorful.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The infant carrier seats are for birth to 13 kg, or 29 pounds. 29 pounds is the weight of a typical two year old, so the infant seat is outgrown 6 pounds sooner than say a Cybex Aton, which holds a child up to 35 pounds. Unless the baby us exceptionally large the Cosatto should allow rear facing to age two. My baby is due January first so maybe by then Cosatto will have realeased a US version which will make it an easier decision. I went to look at baby items at Target and was a bit depressed looking at the car seat aisle that was nearly all gray and black. I know safety is the most important thing, but it seems like Cosatto has made safe seats that are also colorful.

Unfortunately, the thing is that they have short shells. Most seats, including those you mentioned, are outgrown by height well before weight is reached (and usually before one, let alone two.)

lgenne

There are much more colorful options online than at Target even for US seats. Are you looking for an infant seat or a rear facing convertible to start with?

U

Unregistered

I would like to start out with an infant seat- they seem so convenient with the carry handle and all. It sounds like I shouldn't expect one to last two years though? I certainly wouldn't be carrying it around with the little one in it that long, but I thought when it got too heavy to carry it could just be left in the car and used until the weight limit was reached. I didn't realize they could be outgrown by height before weight!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh yes, almost all seats are by almost all kids. Seated height/shell clearance is often first to be hit.

The only rear facing only seat that might really get many kids to 2 is the Chicco fit2, and even then a significant portion will outgrow before that.

In most cases, expect to get a rear facing convertible some time between 6 months and 18 months (depending on seat you choose and child size and build, though there are outliers in each direction- 2 of my kids outgrew a seat that usually lasts kids 9-12 months by 2 months, and I've seen kids fit the same seat at 20 months.)

Convertibles last much longer, many now allowing most kids to make it to the gold standard of 4 years or beyond rear facing. They are still usually outgrown by height before weight. :)

lgenne

For colorful infant seats, check out the Maxi Cosi Mico, the Graco Snugride Click Connect 30 LX, Britax B Safe 35. (This is not at all comprehensive, just what I found with some quick Googling. Note that I didn't include any Evenflo infant seats in this list. They have some great colors, but can be difficult to use correctly.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC