Plane, Bus, Van, Cab, Train and who knows what else?

U

Unregistered

We are heading on a trip in a few months with our 4.5 year old daughter. We have a CARES belt for her for the plane ride already (used in the past and worked great!) but forgot about the vehicles and now we are in a panic! We do NOT want to lug her carseat with us and are in need of some options. She is very close to the 40lb mark and we will be taking various modes of transportation on the trip as it's a cruise/land tour and we will have different shore excursions and won't know what vehicles they will have for use until we get there and are put on them. We are aware that there will be one 15-passenger van and they did say we were responsible for our own 'car seat or other, etc' as we booked that one on our own. We were looking at the BumbleBum if we can verify that at least one of the van seats has a harness belt. We are looking for something very light and portable as we are limited for baggage, etc. as to what we can bring with us - my husband is disabled so I will be carrying the bulk of the load for he, myself and my daughter... any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have you considered a Ride Safer Travel Vest? We brought the new Delight version on a trip for my 4 year old last fall and it worked fantastically well.

U

Unregistered

we have it narrowed down to that or the Bumblebum - however there is a HUGE price difference between the two. The vest is very expensive...

U

Unregistered

I'm also reading there are differences in the type 2 vs type 3 of the vests, and the small may only last her a year? i hate to spend 150-200 $ and only get a year use out of it, which is why I was looking for something like the BumbleBum that would be cost effective and portable for this trip? I'm open to other thoughts though! We need to purchase something soon! Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Delight vest is extremely adjustable. You might consider that if she's not close to the weight limit. What are her height and weight?

I'm just not comfortable with most 4 year old children in a backless booster that requires extra work to stay seated in- the BubbleBum is most suited for children who are over 5 and already have practice riding in a backless booster, because it does take extra work to sit still in.

If you will be right next to the child and can ensure sitting properly 100% of the time by close attention and will only use it occasionally for short trips I'd put the BubbleBum in the "better than nothing" category. But the vest is still a better choice in my educated opinion. However if you will not always be able to do that I think the BubbleBum is a non-viable choice.

U

Unregistered

I believe she is about 37 lbs and around 4 1/2 feet tall. She will be 5 in October. We don't travel that much - once a year, so trying to justify the $200 expense is rough for something she will grow out of (the small size) next year based on the size I'm reading. Can I order her the large so it can be used for more years? Or will it be too big for use this year? And what about the different 'type 2', type 3, generation this, generation that.... there is just too much information on these vests i don't know which ones to pick. a ton of the reviews from users online are saying the earlier generation are better because you can unlatch them with one hand vs. the newer ones need two hands to un-do. Thoughts? I REALLY appreciate the help!!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The large will 100% not fit at that size.

The Delight is more adjustable for small kids to larger kids, but there are other types with different features, yes. Mainly the ability to use tether or not. I can tell you that at her size the Small Delight would fit for years. It is the most adjustable one available- adjusts in height and width and all.

The new one can be undone with one hand with a bit of practice, I checked for a one handed friend. It is made the way it is as a safety feature so kids don't unbuckle while riding.

When is your trip? The BubbleBum has a 40 lb minimum anyway. And I wouldn't put a new 5 year old who had never before used a booster in it. If it was one year older and you had time to practice first I'd be all for it but I've used the BubbleBum for years and much as I love it it does take practice to sit properly.

U

Unregistered

So it looks like after all your great advice we are going to go ahead and get the small Delight vest and just bit the bullet for the comfort and safety peace of mind. Now for the hard part - there are different types and generations - which to choose? appreciate all your help!

U

Unregistered

ahh! that makes sense now! what are the benefits of getting it with the tether vs without? can you get it with it and then not use it?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can. The tether can be helpful for helping younger kids stay in place (though you can also lock the belt if needed.) it is the only way you can use a lap-only belt without a shoulder belt in older cars- you need to use the tether if you don't have a shoulder belt. It also does absorb some force and help improve crash performance numbers.

It also allows use in school buses with lap belts (if you buy the additional school bus adaptor.)

U

Unregistered

Great! ordering mine today! delight small. greatly appreciate all the help and quick responses! truly a blessing finding this forum!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC