Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question 15 passenger van safety

My daughter is 10 and her 4th grade class is going on a field trip soon using 15 passenger vans for transportation. I've always heard less than stellar reviews for their safety, and I've heard too many news stories that reflected that truth. Up until this point I've been able to avoid sending my child on these vans. I cannot attend this field trip, and I don't want her to miss out. But I think sending the principal an email stating my concerns may help change the schools transportation choices in the future... hopefully. I've done some googling and the best information I can come up with is 2007. Have these vans improved a great deal since then, is there more current information?

If anyone could help with that I'd be grateful. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: 15 passenger van safety

I heard the newer ones have a giant side airbag. I don't think the old ones have had rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: 15 passenger van safety

Lack of head restraints and some seating positions with lap belts are the biggest concerns I would have. In addition to that, larger vans have a higher incidence of rollovers, especially if the driver is inexperienced at driving vehicles with high centers if gravity and fail to make changes to their driving to accommodate that. Lots of places have outlawed student transportation using these vans.

Is she at a private school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15