Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Tabbers

Third row minivan access, 2013-2016?

We are looking to get a newer used minivan, as our "just one more" pregnancy turned out to be twins, due in June! My older daughters will be 6 and 8 (transitioning to HBB and backless booster). The good news is we know what we need: 2 infant seats (Chicco keyfit 30) and next year 2 RF seats in the second row. What are the best options for allowing easy third row access with both infant seat bases and RF seats installed? We will be RF for 3 years, and I don't want my oldest to hate me by the end! Ideally, I would want an 8th seat and be able to install infant seats in center and drivers side second row, but it seems most second row center seats may be too narrow for this. TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Third row minivan access, 2013-2016?

Congratulations and welcome!

The Honda Odyssey has a very functional 2nd row center seat. Not every car seat works there, but plenty do. If you have to buy at least one new car seat for each stage anyway, you can just do your research and get something that works there. Bonus: both outboard 3rd row seats have lower anchors that work with latchable boosters, so your older kids wouldn't have to worry about re-buckling their boosters in on their way out of the minivan, and you don't have to worry about the boosters being projectiles in a collision. (I don't think any other minivan on the market has lower anchors that would work for that.)

The captain's chairs are removable, so there can be fantastic access to the 3rd row with your planned setup. It's also possible to tumble a captain's chair if there is a narrow car seat in the center.

4. Thank You from: