Booster for 5 yr old and travel seat question

U

Unregistered

My son is currently in a foonf and a radian. He's 44" and 48 lbs and turned 5 two months ago. My in-laws will be taking him to school in a few months and thought a booster may be easier for them - is it safe for him? Any suggestions? He sits well in the car.
Also, well be taking a 2hr flight for the first time with my son and my 34", 32 lb, 3 yr old who is currently rear facing in a foonf and radian. Should I take the radian for both kids? Just my 3 yr old? We won't need car seats at our destination. TIA!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you feel your five year old would sit properly in a booster? If so, it'd be a fine option.

If you don't need carseats at your destination, you can do without for your five year old. He'll fit in the plane's belt. For the three year old, I'd probably forward face in a Radian on the plane. It's a very easy seat to install forward facing, but a bear rear facing. And the Foonf is just a bear for travel, being 40 pounds on its own.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you Wendy! Do you have any booster recommendations? Should I look for a 5-point harness or just a high back using the vehicles belt? Bonus if it's super easy to install correctly, I could see my in-laws taking it out when not transporting my son and I may not be there when they reinstall.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A booster doesn't use a harness, just the car's belt. That's why I asked if you think he'd be ready.

An Evenflo Spectrum would be a nice, tall, and pretty inexpensive option. It also doesn't have traditional armrests, so less to worry about when someone else is buckling him in, or he's learning to do it himself.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I obviously have a lot to learn! He's my oldest so I have no experience with any seats besides infant and convertible seats. I honestly don't know if he's ready for just a seatbelt. If he's not, am I looking at just getting another convertible seat? TIA!

CardaMom

The Radian is also a bear to lug through an airport and is difficult to install because of its weight though it fits FF on the plane seat very well. If you don't need a car seat at the destination, there's no way I'd take the weight of the Radian just for the sake of having a seat on the plane. If you feel strongly about the 3-year-old being in a car seat on the plane, I'd purchase one of the lightweight travel seats. I personally wouldn't bother with even that unless it would be used at the other end.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC