Question Expired Recaro boosters

kphil

I have two Recaro boosters, and I just realized they are expired. I'm really conscientious about it with harnessed seats, but somehow never thought about it with the boosters--I think because the vehicle belt is doing most of the restraining. One is a Vivo, and I just found the order confirmation for January 2010 :eek:. The other one was a model before the Vivo (and after Monterey) and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it would be older than the Vivo. Oops, feel bad about that. We've only been using the Vivo for quite awhile, though. How expired would a 2010 Vivo be? I can't find firm expiration info for the seat.

I'm trying to decide whether to have ds use that one until I get a replacement, or use a backless Harmony we have. He's never ridden in a backless, but he's certainly old enough. He's little for 11, though, at 58 pounds and very short.

It also means I need to pick a booster for my 40lb 7yo who is ready to booster train.

ETA: I finally found what our other booster is by looking through my posting history. It's a Recaro YoungStyle. Unfortunately, I also realized the YoungStyle is the one we've been using, not the Vivo, as the Vivo has an issue with slack in the lap belt and isn't as comfortable to DS. Looks like we're buying a new booster or two this weekend.

ADS

kphil

I'd absolutely choose an unexpired backless for an 11 year old!

What vehicle do you have?
2016 Odyssey. I looked back to see when I got the LiteRider backless boosters, and it was March 2011 (time flies! I had no idea!). The Harmony has a weird expiration of December of six years after the year of manufacture, so I feel okay using it until we get to a store this weekend or order one from Amazon. I wish I'd realized this last week, as Babies R Us was doing their trade in event. Now I'll have all these seats to get recycled.

Is your Odyssey an 8-seater? If so, do you have trouble using the middle second row seat with a kid not in a harnessed seat? I'm finding the belt fit there is horrible, which is really screwing us up for figuring out how we are fitting everyone once baby is born.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is. We didn't have problem with a Maxi-Cosi Rodifix there. The fit on my skinny 5-stepper is not perfect but adequate; my bigger 5-stepping niece, my second in a backless (also built broader) and my mom have no issues there. I think that position is quite dependent on build for older children riding there!

That's our "bonus" seat for when we need to carry extra people though- we usually fold it down for the kids to climb over.

(Also, December after the 6th anniversary from manufacture is quite a common expiration date actually. No worries there.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC