3 in Prius

U

Unregistered

We have a 2011 Prius and need help deciding on a carseat for baby #3.

DS#1 9.5yo, 75 lbs, 55 inches
-currently in Britax Parkway SGL Backless

DS#2 4.5yo, 35 lbs, 42 inches
-currently FF in Diono Radian (installed with latch currently)

We are expecting #3 in April and are considering ordering a Britax Boulevard clicktight for her. I would love to hear from anyone that has advice or experience with 3 in a Prius.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it fits, it would likely fit best on the side with the Radian center (both seatbelt installs.) Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this particular 3 across.

You might also need to move the 9 year old to something different- possibly an Incognito?- to allow buckling.

U

Unregistered

Thank you for the suggestion! I will try moving the radian to the center and see if there is room on either side for the other seats. Before reading this, we tried the boulevard ct in our car at BRU and it did not work with the radian on one side and the boulevard on the other. There was just no room left in the middle for anything. Front to back it is also really tight when reclined for an infant, but not too bad when we adjusted it more upright.
Do you have another suggestion other than what I am trying that is known to work? Our radian was manufactured in 2010 and I think it may be nearing its expiration date.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A Coccoro for the baby would buy a lot more room. A narrower rear facing only seat might work too. (Always seatbelt installs of course.)

sirrahn

We have a 2010 Prius which I believe is basically the same car since that was a redesign year. I'm sure it's possible to get some combo in there, but it's not going to be fun at all. I would try a Harmony youth booster for the 9yr old. Even without 3 across, DD2 had a much easier time buckling that than anything else in the Prius. You're also going to have to deal with the center seatbelt overlap and make sure not to block the battery cooling vent on the passenger side.

Cocorro behind passenger, Radian middle and then Harmony on drivers side might be worth a shot. GL!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

bubbaray

Hold on. It has the overlapping belts? I know Toyota doesn't permit that in the RAV4. Does the vehicle manual address seatbelt use in the Prius?

sirrahn

Hold on. It has the overlapping belts? I know Toyota doesn't permit that in the RAV4. Does the vehicle manual address seatbelt use in the Prius?

There is nothing in the Prius manual that I've ever found that restricts the use of all 3 belts. The center seatbelt is anchored inside the buckle for the passenger seatbelt though. I'm not sure how it compares to the Rav4. I will say that even though all my kids are out of seats, we generally avoid taking more than 2 in the backseat of the Prius. It's hard for everyone to get buckled when there's 3. 2010-toyota-prius-rear-seat_100179656_l.jpg

Last edited:

bubbaray

Ok well it sounds like the belts are the same as the RAV4. The RAV4 manual used to be silent on the issue but we used to recommend not to install using overlapping belts. The current generation RAV4 prohibits it.

OP if the belts do overlap I would consider calling Toyota or searching on here for threads about the RAV4 belt overlap. FWIW, I have a 2010 RAV4 with overlapping belts and would never install 3 restraints even though technically the manual for my MY doesn't prohibit it. JMHO.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Prius belts I've seen weren't the same as the RAV- only a small buckle crossover, which is ok.

I'm not sure if the 2011 is any different as I can't recall specifically whether I've worked in that model year.

LRH4

I've successfully installed the radian in the center position with the seatbelt. I have 18 inches of room on the side behind the passenger, and enough for a booster behind the driver. I think i can fit the boulevard in that space. The center seatbelt does slightly overlap the passenger side stalk, but it comes from above and I don't think they would physically cross each other. It looks like the one in this link.
http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2013/08/18/19/04/2009_toyota_prius_liftback-pic-5389850159101741498.jpeg

LRH4

it is exactly like the picture posted by sirrahn. I couldn't see it earlier. Also, the radian is good through November.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As long as the manufacturer doesn't forbid it, it doesn't cause seats to be pushed out of position or a poor install, and the belts don't push on each other in a way to cause interference, that's fine.

LRH4

Thanks! I don't think it is going to be a problem then.
One last question.. Any suggestions for what to replace the radian with when it expires in november? It would have to be a ff harnessed seat the same size or smaller for DS#2 (currently 4.5yo, 35 lbs, 42 inches).

sirrahn

The Prius belts I've seen weren't the same as the RAV- only a small buckle crossover, which is ok.

I'm not sure if the 2011 is any different as I can't recall specifically whether I've worked in that model year.
Yeah I found a Rav4 backseat pic and the Prius middle is much wider. The overlap does create some logistical issues when buckling 3, but it's doable with a little patience.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC