Long and winding question - 2nd convertible for 1 year old

grandisp

I'm sort of thinking out loud here and maybe needing some advice. I have a one year old - not sure on exact measurements but he is probably 28-29" and 25 lbs. Huge head. Like off the charts huge.

I am planning to put him into a Clek Fllo just as soon as I can get it ordered. He has been in a Chicco Keyfit but I am seeing the new recommendation is to switch them to convertibles by 1 year (still RF of course). I like the Clek because of the possibly less toxic fabrics and of course it is a really solid safe seat right? That would be for our main car (now a Ford Expedition EL). My 4 year old is already in a Clek Fllo in our main car.

I would like to purchase a second convertible for the 1 year old that is easier to travel by airplane with and that can live in my dh's car for random errands etc. - which is now a Honda Pilot 2010. I am thinking of the Diono - radian rxt on Albeebaby is a pretty good deal right now...? Because I know the Diono folds up for travel and we have 4 kids and I really need something that is as compact as possible for this purpose. It would also be handy if I could use it for my 4 year old on occasion - but of course this requires re-installation...? I have an older Radian - from 2009 - and I really struggle to install it correctly, etc. So I am not 100% on the Diono (not to mention it's fairly pricey for a 2nd/backup seat). Do I have other choices for this 2nd seat that are still easy to travel with? Or do you think I should just go with the Diono?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't get a Diono for travel especially for a 1 year old. They are all but impossible to rear face on a plane for one. They are even more difficult to use now than the old radian you had (new usage rules.) I would go with something very lightweight and easier to use and super compact like a Scenera Next instead.

For a main seat, the Fllo is nice; as far as "safe" all seats are that but if you're happy with the one you have no reason not to go with that unless your child is very tall.

grandisp

I wouldn't get a Diono for travel especially for a 1 year old. They are all but impossible to rear face on a plane for one. They are even more difficult to use now than the old radian you had (new usage rules.) I would go with something very lightweight and easier to use and super compact like a Scenera Next instead.

For a main seat, the Fllo is nice; as far as "safe" all seats are that but if you're happy with the one you have no reason not to go with that unless your child is very tall.

Hmmm that's not good news to hear it is even more difficult to use. Do you happen to know if I need to apply the new usage rules to my old Radian?

I saw the Scenera Next after browsing around here. It's tempting at $50 and seems like a lot more user friendly. I'm torn between that idea and the 'feeling' of more safety with the solid, heavy steel feel of the radian and clek you know? I know they say they all seats are safe but it still seems like there is a difference.

happymom

For what it's worth I LOVE my scenera.
I use it as an every day seat for my 1 year old and have flown with it, it's so light and easy to use.

I have never used a seat as high end as a Clek, but I prefer the scenera to my britax as far as ease of use, ease of installation, and keeping it clean =)

grandisp

For what it's worth I LOVE my scenera.
I use it as an every day seat for my 1 year old and have flown with it, it's so light and easy to use.

I have never used a seat as high end as a Clek, but I prefer the scenera to my britax as far as ease of use, ease of installation, and keeping it clean =)

That's helpful, thanks! I had a couple Britax' for my older kids when they were little and i really found them to be frustrating as far as installation, cleaning, etc and the covers never held up. I never understood the Britax love! But it really is a personal thing i guess.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that the end goal of a seat is to a)keep the child in the seat and b)disperse energy away from the child. A lightweight flexible seat is just a different way of doing that than a heavy seat with all those bells and whistles- in fact some of the foam etc may be needed because of the rigidity of a heavy metal frame. Since metal doesn't bend that method of channeling energy away from the child is out and they have to find another. Flexible plastic deforming as crash forces hit it is actually a quite elegant engineering solution and has been shown to perform very well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC