Car seat for 3 year old with hypotonia

jenni4

Hi. I have a 3 year old son with a form of Cerebral Palsy that causes his muscles and joints to be floppy / hypotonic (he still cannot sit up on his own). We are located in Canada and all the advice I have seen is for US seats. He is small for his age (wears 2t clothing), weighs about 28lbs and is about 34in tall. We are looking for options for a car seat that can be used easily for travel on airplanes as well as from in the car when he maxes out the weight in his current seat (First Years Tru Fit - 35lbs rf limit). The Tru Fit seem too wide for airplane travel. What seats have some recline when forward facing? Any that are good for airplane travel? We have a 2015 Honda Odyssey (8 seat model) and a 2005 VW Passat Wagon as vehicle options. We can use the Tru Fit in one and the new seat in the other.

ADS

lgenne

I'm not seeing many that have much forward facing recline available in Canada. What about a seat that will allow him to rear face longer?

jenni4

While I am open to longer rear facing with a new seat win higher limits, we will still have issues once that seat is outgrown. I am trying to avoid buying a new seat every time that happens.

Dillipop

I think you're probably looking at another convertible if you want some recline while forward facing. I would like at the Graco seats you have available, possibly the Britax and Peg convertibles. I don't know if those allow for a more reclined setting in Canada but just by virtue of being a convertible, should be less upright.

Do you have the Graco Myride in Canada? If so, it's a great choice for a kid with low tone and installs pretty reclined for forward facing.

And while the truefit probably isn't the most compact for flights, it does pass testing to be used on a plane and should fit fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

(The MyRide was the first thing I looked for. It looks like someone has smuggled a few in from the US and is selling them on amazon.ca for huge sums.)

It sounds like Graco is planning to bring the Extend2Fit to Canada (although I'm not seeing anything definitive). It rear faces to 50 pounds (and really gets kids to 50 pounds, unlike, say, the Clek seats), which at his size might get you through 5+ years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC