Safety 1st, Even Flo, or Other -- Convertible Seat for 2017 Pacifica

BigBaby

1st post here so sorry if this question is too broad or in the wrong place... but my wife and I did our final in-store registering at Babies R Us and the salesperson recommended two Convertible car seats. Amazon has a mix of a very few good and bad reviews for each, and BabiesRUs has overwhelmingly positive reviews for both (but I don't personally trust reviews on retailer websites).

Does anybody here have either of these seats: "Safety 1st UltraMax Air 360 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat" OR "Evenflo Platinum Symphony DLX All-In-One Convertible Car Seat - Lauderdale"?

Alternatively, does anybody drive the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica (note: this is 100% different than older model years that were called Pacifica) -- we are still car shopping but are 95% resolved to get one of them in the next few weeks. It would be awesome if anybody here had 1st hand experience with this car and had a favorite car seat (any brand). I appreciate any responses or help in general!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Is this for an upcoming newborn?

Out of curiosity, why those seats? Neither are very recommended due to their bulk, and the Symphony doesn't fit newborns in a spectacular way.

Wendy

BigBaby

This is our first child and will be here in a few months. We are getting an infant car seat w/ base until the kid is old enough (or large enough) to meet the safety guidelines to switch to a convertible seat -- we are just shopping in advance for that 2nd seat on the registry.

I didn't know those two seats were large (before your post); is that a problem given the context of the Pacifica (3 row minivan)? If so, do you have any other 1-3 seats that are recommended by people here? I am interested in safety (I know all seats meet gov't standards, but some manufacturers claim to exceed that -- is that largely BS?) and ease of use, and less worried about price. E.g. if it claims to be safer and takes 10 seconds less to strap the child in each time, that is worth $150 more of cost to me. Thanks again for any further help!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
This is our first child and will be here in a few months. We are getting an infant car seat w/ base until the kid is old enough (or large enough) to meet the safety guidelines to switch to a convertible seat -- we are just shopping in advance for that 2nd seat on the registry.

I'd hold off, honestly. First, baby meets the safety guidelines to switch to a convertible at birth. If you'd like to go that route, we're happy to help. You don't need a rear facing only seat. Otherwise, since it'll be a few months before baby's bum is out, and then maybe another year before baby's bum is in the seat, the Best Seat For You may be out in the next 15 months, but you can't get it because you already have this one bought, unused, boxed up, and ticking away its lifespan. So I would wait. I know there are new seats coming.

I didn't know those two seats were large (before your post); is that a problem given the context of the Pacifica (3 row minivan)? If so, do you have any other 1-3 seats that are recommended by people here? I am interested in safety (I know all seats meet gov't standards, but some manufacturers claim to exceed that -- is that largely BS?) and ease of use, and less worried about price. E.g. if it claims to be safer and takes 10 seconds less to strap the child in each time, that is worth $150 more of cost to me. Thanks again for any further help!

They may be cramped even in a three row vehicle. I put a Symphony in a Traverse today (not a small vehicle), and with the seat appropriately reclined there wasn't much room everywhere. The UltraMax is even bigger.

All companies claim to exceed requirements. I don't know that it's BS so much as, "How?" Do they do additional testing? Do they exceed it by the smallest of margins, or by a wide margin? It can mean so much that it really means quite little. The safety requirements are very very strict. I don't worry about spending more to get more. More money doesn't equal more safety.

Now, you can get seats that are easily for ease of use. But that is 100% personal preference. I have carpal tunnel and have to have surgery in a couple of months. My current set of "perfect!" is different than it was two years ago, and is different from what it will be in another year. And I'm just one person. Yours may be 180 degrees from mine, and your wife's may be 180 from yours. So for that you need to actually play with seats. If ease of buckling is number one on your list, that's fine, but what I would do is wait for six months or so. Take your then three month old shopping with you, buckle them in, and see what you find to be the easiest for harnessing. Then come back here when you're closer to ready to buy and tell us, "our baby is X pounds and Y inches and Z months old, and I went to the store and I like seats A, B, and C quite a lot. I drive a 2017 Pacifica, which do you think would work best for my baby and my car?"

This is one of those things where jumping ahead of the game may shoot you in the foot. You may love a brand new seat that's so new to the market you can feel the warmth from the factory. Or you may find an old classic is more your style. But either way, if you wait longer, you can make the decision with all current information at your fingertips. And we'll still be here to help. :)

Wendy

Kel

Hello welcome! Witch infant seats are you looking at? My DH prefers a infant seat (bucket seat) but we only use it about 4-6 months. 5 month with this last baby. Then we switch to a convertible seat. I prefer to baby wear. I'm small and I hate lugging around a infant seat. My niece used her infant seat for her baby 12+ months. So like Wendy said, it's all person choice.

But I know there's some really nice infant seats out there that the techs here would help you with.

Good luck!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just wanted to chime in and agree that you are better off waiting. Something new comes out every year. I have never regretted the decision to wait until I actually need a new seat - on more than one occasion, the waiting has resulted in the manufacturer making improvements based on customer feedback and/or a different seat being released that I like better.

If you are wanting to put it on the registry because you want to be able to get the completion discount, know that there are much better deals that can be found later on.

Finally, if for any reason you are really set on picking out a seat from BRU now, I would get the Milestone or Extend2Fit 3-in-1. Those are my personal favorites at BRU and they will fit a wide variety of cars and children. I haven't heard any rave reviews about either of the seats that were recommended to you. I have had a lot of weird advice given to me by retail sales associates -- I wouldn't put much stock into those recommendations.

This is a much better resource for recommendations: https://carseatblog.com/safest-recommended-car-seats/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC