Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Sienna vs. Sedona vs. Ford 10 passenger

Hi all!
    My brother and sister-in-law are on the lookout for a new van. Their early-2000s Caravan is on its last legs. My sis asked me to find out more about the Sienna, Sedona, and Ford Transit 10 passenger, all 2014 or newer. I had mentioned to her to stay away from newer Dodge/Chrysler vans because of the 3rd row seatbelt geometery, so she wants to make sure whatever they get will work for their family. Family consists of the parents, who are both on the tall side, and:

H, age 9.5, about 100 lbs, tall and stocky, currently in the third row in an Incognito
    A, age 7, average height and weight, second row toward center (2-person bench seat) in a Graco Affix high back
    R, age 3.5, under 30 lbs and average build, second row behind driver in a Milestone FF

The two girls, A and R, tend to get carsick, or else they would have RF longer. A is worse and likes to be able to see out the front from where she sits, though I am guessing she could tolerate a window seat now. This is also why H ends up in the back where the ride is a bit rockier. He does not get carsick and can be trusted to buckle himself. The interest in the 10 passenger van is mostly in having more cargo space.

Thanks in advance for the input!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, RF in a 4Ever and a Scenera Next
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Sienna vs. Sedona vs. Ford 10 passenger

I wouldn't get a 10 passenger van for 3 kids. Are they having more kids? If they are done I'd go with either of the vans or possibly an Odyssey.
    Last edited by bubbaray; 02-08-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

Carseat Crazy

Re: Sienna vs. Sedona vs. Ford 10 passenger

Edited after talking to sis: They want room for camping equipment and are currently praying about fostering in the future. They like to use their vehicles for as long as possible.
    -Reta
    Former CPST

CPS Fanatic

Are they thinking about fostering more than 3? If not, I would get an 8 passenger (and the Odyssey should definitely be on the list, for all those tether anchors) and get a roof rack.

Carseat Crazy

Thanks, I have passed this info along. Can anyone speak to the belt geometry in the Ford Transit 150 10 passenger? I want her to have all the info she needs to make a choice. Thanks again!
    -Reta
    Former CPST

I just made a post about the 10 passenger transit. She might find it helpful. We have a Sedona and I like it, except we cannot fit five car seats in it. It also only has one latch spot and two tethers in the back row.