Question 3 Across in 2006 Honda Odyssey/Carseat in Jumpseat/Ride Safer Vest?

bjohnsonfam

We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey, which has a removable middle seat (jumpseat). We have read conflicting reports about whether a carseat may be installed in this jumpseat and have 3 across in the middle row this way. We are hoping to use this seat to accommodate our upcoming newborn boy, as well as a 20 mos old and 4 y.o. girl (forward facing) all in the middle row. We prefer to keep the back row free for our teen daughters since they are nearly adult size and having a carseat in the back will be a very tight squeeze for them.

Is it possible to use this middle jumpseat for a forward or rear facing carseat and then a pumpkin seat (infant seat) for our newborn on one side and a convertible carseat (Clek Fllo) on the other side? Alternatively, we would consider using a Ride Safer but am wondering about the safety of this vest when used daily for a 4 y.o in this narrow middle seat. Our older daughters would access the back with either of these plans by removing the pumpkin seat briefly, sliding and tipping forward the seat, then snapping the pumpkin seat back in place once the girls are in the back (this would only need to happen 1-2 times a week).

If this plan isn’t a safe one, then we would consider a rear facing clek filo in the 3rd row, middle, but it will be tight. I’m honestly also a bit nervous about the idea of a rear end crash with our 1 y.o. facing all the glass in the back, and also wondering if it is difficult to adjust this seat in a 3rd row middle configuration when rear facing?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Plus One is suitable for a few rear facing seats and boosters. Without a tether anchor I wouldn't put a forward facing car seat there. A Ride Safer Travel Vest would be an option there but while safe wouldn't be my favorite for everyday use. Convenience wise.

There is a thread on compatibility in the Plus One: https://www.car-seat.org/showthread...y-model-years)-Successful-Installation-Thread

We had a rear facer in the back row from birth to several years old. It was a bit of a pain to buckle from the back but not excessively so and with teens back there they could do it for you. I'm not at all concerned about safety back there. You can raise the head restraint on that seating position for an additional barrier if desired.

Another option might be to put one child and one teen in back, the other two car seats in the second row and leave the other captains chair open for a teen/access- for instance if you can't get the rear facing toddler there but the rear-facing-only bucket works (a few do.)

bjohnsonfam

Thank you so much for this extremely helpful and timely input. We will need to resolve this issue before the new baby arrives (in 23 days!), so I especially appreciate this forum! Do you by chance know if the Clek Fllo will work in this middle Plus One jump seat? The CarSeat lady had recommended this seat for its narrowness so we went ahead and purchased it. I'm hoping it will work as well as some of the others you mentioned.

Thank you again!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A quick search shows that no one seems to have tried the Fllo but there are reports the Foonf works (with some difficulty) so it may have a shot.

bjohnsonfam

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I posted this yesterday and didn't see it on the forum today..)

Thank you again for your help!

Unfortunately, we installed the Clek Filo in the middle jumpseat and it was a bit too wide so that the adjacent captain seat could not tip forward in order for there to be access to the back. Our hopes were to remove the infant seat briefly (set it on the drivers seat or hold it) to allow the captain seat to tip forward so that our teens could get in the back. Do you think the other carseats you mentioned might be even narrower so that this overlap of seats wouldn't hinder this possibility? We are open to your other suggestions but didn't want to give up just yet on the convenience of having the 3 younger ones in the middle row.

Also, you mentioned having our nearly 4 y.o. in the back (in one of the far seats) and she has been forward facing since 3 y.o. so we would likely keep her forward facing at this point. Given that she would be forward facing in a Clek Filo in the back, would you still be comfortable with her in the back, or more comfortable having our 18 mos. old rear facing in the back?
Alternatively, we may give the RideSafer vest a try for our 4 y.o. in the jumpseat middle row to attain 3 across and wondered which of all the following possible scenarios would be the safest? There is also supposedly a very narrow booster/hybrid called the Immi Go (or SafeGuard Go) that I wondered if you knew anything about.

I suppose another possibility in the future could be to save up for a newer Honda Odyssey (2011 and up) since I heard these have 3 full captains chairs, which could solve our issue of the middle carseat blocking the side captain chair from tilting forward.

Thank you again for your help! We are desperately trying to work this out before I need to go to the hospital with the carseat installed for our new baby! We potentially need to purchase one more carseat (or the RideSafer vest) and are holding out until we figure this situation out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm comfortable with any kid in the back. I've had rear-facing, forward facing, boostered and 5-stepping kids back there. The back row is perfectly safe. :)

I think you're just going to have to try combinations to see what will work or not in the second row, unfortunately.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Correct. It also isn't narrow enough to fit. It isn't really that narrow at the bottom, just plays well 3 across sometimes.

I wouldn't use anything not rear-facing or booster in that spot because of the lack of tether anchor.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC