Question Car seat overlap?

babyherder

Where are we at with car seats overlapping when installed? I know some companies have said its not ok but I still haven't seen anything in any car seat manuals. What rules do I follow here????? I'm finding trying to sort out all these rules somewhat frustrating and exhausting. I want to follow the manual and ignore everything else but I also want the kids to be safe. I need to do a 3 across in the back of my 2015 Honda civic. It will be easier if the seats can overlap. But if overlapping is out I can get a bubble bum.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on what you mean by "overlap." Puzzle without really hanging over each other? Yes. One seat laying directly on top of another? No. I'm sorry to be vague but without seeing a picture of specific "overlap" it's hard to say.

babyherder

Fair enough. I'll play around over the next few days and take some pictures. I have a maestro, a sure ride, a tribute, and an extend2fit to play around with. I'm guessing they'll be pretty tightly touching but I will check for independent installs.

laurengt

By overlap, do you mean touching? As long as they're each installed tightly on their own and not relying on a friction fit scenario, it should be ok unless a manufacturer explicitly forbids it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babyherder

I've heard that a couple companies prohibit touching and/or overlap. However, there is nothing in the manual. Just wondering how the experts feel and if there was a general consensus on who/what we listen to. I've going out to play with my seats in a few minutes and I'll see what happens.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As far as I know, they've clarified that what's prohibited is a) pushing each other out of position, b) interfering with proper install or c) significant overlap to the point they hang over.

If you are concerned then calling the manufacturer is always the way to go.

babyherder

Thank you kq and laurengt! I played a little today and I think no 3 across with the seats I have now will work. They push against each other so much I think it will stress the plastic to leave them that way long term so I'm not going to do that. I'll just do rf on the sides and get a narrow booster to put in the middle. I know I have room for at least a bubble bum and I'm going to try out a few other narrow ones tomorrow.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As far as I know, they've clarified that what's prohibited is a) pushing each other out of position, b) interfering with proper install or c) significant overlap to the point they hang over.

"c" is what confuses the issue. If the side of one RF seat 'floats' over the top of a FF seat (or vice versa)...but those parts don't actually touch...is that overlap? That's what's being spouted often, that even this floating is not ok, and I'm not sure that's what the manufacturer's are concerned about?

We can't call a mfg every time we're assisting a parent in putting in a seat. If it's important, they need to put it in the manual!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC