The Unbearable Torture of RF

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, my DH said that... he says that any time I have a kid RF in the minivan who's happily looking basically straight up to see the DVD player, can see it fine, is not complaining... he just thinks it's *awful* to RF kids when the DVD player essentially faces the other direction (despite the fact that they can SEE the dang thing even RF :p )

I don't know why he keeps harping on it, too...we've had this van for 4.5 years, had RF kids in that spot for almost 3 of those years, never had one of them complain about riding RF (as we know, preschoolers are vocal about things they don't like... :whistle::rolleyes:)

Anyway, even the most avid RF'ers face some opposition from our SO's...
:)

ADS

amy919

You're not alone. Matt rarely says anything about the car seats or the way they're sitting. We have a rule. When he wants to educate himself on car seat safety, he can have a say :whistle:. Until then, it's my call. He can pick the covers for the seats that go in his car. That's the extent of his input. Although, he loves installing car seats. Something about the mechanic in him, I guess.

Matt is totally on board with RF - until about 2. He's starting to make little comments to Tea when he puts her in the car. "You poor thing with your legs all scrunched up", stuff like that. He might occassionally ask me when she can turn around. I tell him we don't have $500+ worth of car seats in the back of my car not to use them to their safest ability and she'll turn around when she outgrows the seat. He doesn't put up a fight.

But we did have a similar issue to the DVD deal. He wanted to have one installed in my car, but I refused because 1) I don't need to spend that much money; and 2) Tea wouldn't be able to see it. We bought them the dual screen portable DVD player that mounts to the headrests as a compromise. But he still makes his little comments now and again...

Morganthe

Since he keeps whining about it, maybe HE wants to be watching the DVD and is just envious? :p

Honestly, I just don't know how all us adults survived when we were younger without cell phones and DVD players in vehicles before 5-10 years ago. Amazing how deprived we all were. :whistle:

littleangelfire

We bought them the dual screen portable DVD player that mounts to the headrests as a compromise. But he still makes his little comments now and again...

I think a portable DVD player is a better buy anyways - you can use it other places than the car. I got one off eBay for $25 after rebate and we have occasionally used it in the car for longer trips, but honestly I use it more when I have to take my son to a Dr. appointment with me or go to the DMV or something that will seriously try his preschooler patience. There's a lot to look at while riding in a car anyways. :)
Amy

amy919

Ditto! DH doesn't say much but the rest of his family sure does!

Ugh - don't even get me started on his family. They think I'm certifiably insane for "making" my kids RF "forever". And my 36 pound 4 year old is still harnessed? OMG - I should be be committed to a white padded room immediately! After all, Matt and his brothers survived with no seatbelts, let alone car seats!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Ditto! DH doesn't say much but the rest of his family sure does!

Same here! DH's family just can't help it... they think it's ridiculous that E is RF at age 3 and that I won't just put them in boosters the second they turn 4. But, then again, when DH was little, about 22 yrs ago or so, his dad took him out to cut wood for their woodstove, DH fell asleep on the stack of wood in the back of the truck, and his dad drove home with him sleeping on that stack of wood. On roads and everything! It's not like they even lived in the country. His parents like to tell me, 'we didn't know any better back then' to which I can't help but reply, "MY mom knew about car safety back then (I'm the same exact age as DH). I rode in a car seat and never ever went without a seat belt"!

amy919

Honestly, I just don't know how all us adults survived when we were younger without cell phones and DVD players in vehicles before 5-10 years ago. Amazing how deprived we all were. :whistle:

Exactly! We actually only use it for 2+ hour trips, of which there aren't many. We occupy ourselves just fine with silly games of "count the read/blue/white cars" and "eye spy". We use it a lot more in the house actually when I can't bear to watch another kids movie.

Morganthe

Exactly! We actually only use it for 2+ hour trips, of which there aren't many.

LOL, we have 5-6 hour drives on Fri & Mon to Houston area & back. I'm not even planning on taking our dvd player. :shrug-shoulders: We only needed it on our 'long' trip at around the 9/10 hour mark. :eek: Music, books, & dolls will keep her plenty happy, or she can just stare into space. If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for her :p

niccig

My DH keeps making comments too. He knows there is no chance DS will FF until he's 32lbs without clothes. We weighed DS the other day, he's 29lbs and DH commented that he needed to keep growing to put on 3 more pounds. That will take DS about 12 months, so 12 more months of comments by DH.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
how can an RFing kiddo see the DVD player? i'm having a hard time imagining it.
I'll have to get a picture... but basically it flips down from the ceiling right behind the front row and it tilts back a little... so not at a right angle to the ceiling, but like you could see it best if you're leaning back in the middle row captain's chair. So it's basically right over her head and at enough of an angle she can see it just by looking to her left and up.

Morganthe's probably on to something...maybe DH is just jealous :whistle:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And on the 'when to use the DVD' issue... I've used it on very short trips, like that mile to kindergarten... but only with educational stuff that the kids would never willingly watch... Strapped in? Learn some Spanish! Usually now though it's only for Bitsy when we are waiting in the car for some reason (big brother does taekwondo, and sometimes a new netflix movie is the only way we can survive waiting for him, lol)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
used it on very short trips, like that mile to kindergarten... but only with educational stuff that the kids would never willingly watch... Strapped in? Learn some Spanish!

We usually only use ours for over 45 min. rides, but sometimes I rent documentaries (like Ballet Russes) for Leila to watch on short rides -- if she wants a movie to the grcoery store that's what she gets ... otherwise the option is a book on tape :whistle: (since she wants the CD that I made for her in her bedroom now)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
M can see the DVD screen just fine while RF too. She is RF outboard, and she just leans her head against the side of her seat and looks up. I thought we were safe from the DVD-in-the-car issue until one of the kids is FF, but nope, she asks for it every time we are in the car. Usually I just turn it on if we are going 30+ minutes, when it's not nap time. Otherwise she won't fall asleep.

tjham

I had my grandson RF to 28 months. At 24 months, my husband was with us and DGS cried the whole way home from exhaustion after a party. (Wouldn't you know, it would happen then. He hardly ever cried with just me.)
DH attributed it to RF and said I was cruel! And didn't I have more faith in my own driving. :rolleyes: I gave him the research lecture and he didn't bring it up again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC