Good carseat for grandma?

U

Unregistered

My son is 3 and is big for his age. He is 40 pounds and 42" (I think - it is hard to measure kids). Anyway, my mom struggles with the harness of the Britrex Boulevard that we have in her car. Any suggestions on what to get that she can safely latch my son into? I am thinking of a carseat that will convert to a booster seat when my son is ready. My son is very good at sitting still - so maybe it is a booster seat in her car??? Advise welcome.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

A booster is not a safe option for a three year old. His skeleton won't be ready for a few more years.

What does she find difficult about his current harness? Getting it buckled? Getting it unbuckled? Tightening it?

Do you have the top tether done up, and the straps come from above his shoulders?

What's a reasonable budget for you for a combination seat?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

She struggles with adjusting the harness and buckling him in. I often find it as loose as it goes in her car and she will have struggled to fasten him - which obviously is concerning. He is a solid kid, but not crazy large. We have the same seat in our car, and I do agree that the straps can be hard to loosen at times. Budget wise - this is a safety issue, so price isn't the limiting factor.

Yes, we have the tether done up - but great question on the straps, I will check tomorrow if they are coming from above his shoulders in her car.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can she just leave the harness snug and not loosen it? He shouldn't be wearing a jacket in the car, so daily his size shouldn't change unless you've noticed a spurt.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, Graco Nautilus.

Wendy

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hi there! I understand completely. My in-laws also struggled with getting my kids harnessed -- and they weren't comfortable leaving it tight and getting her in and out without loosening. If you can convince your mom to do that, I agree with Wendy that that would be easiest. However if that isn't an option you might consider some of the Graco models with very smooth harness adjusters because of the "roller bar feature" -- the Graco Contender and the Milestone, for example. I am not sure which (if any) of the combination seats have the roller bar feature. Maybe the Nautilus, or the Tranzitions/Wayz that Wendy mentioned? To tell, look at the back of the seat and see if the straps roll over a plain bar, or if they roll over little red tubes. The little red tubes make it easier to pull the harness right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC