Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

carseats for travel to Iceland

We're planning a trip to Iceland in June, and I'm wondering what to plan carseat-wise. Ages of kids in June will be 1 and 7.

Our (rather big for his age) 7yo is in a harmony NBB at home, so I'm guessing we'll just bring his booster, and hopefully that'll be fine in the car we rent in Iceland.

DD will have just turned 1 and is quite small for her age. Seats we have to choose from for her are a chicco keyfit 22 (assuming she still fits -- right now she is 15.5lbs and 25" so if she does fit I think it will be barely), clek Fllo, diono ranier, or evenflo sureride. I'm open to buy another if absolutely necessary, but I'd certainly rather not.

I will get DD a seat on the plane, and plan to use her carseat there (and probably FF for the sake of space unless we take the keyfit). We'll be flying IcelandAir and they have a policy that states pretty clearly that kids under 2 can be in their carseat on the plane (assuming you buy them a seat) so I'm fairly sure that'll be OK. I am worried about transportation when we land, though -- I haven't booked a car yet, and am not sure what we'll get. The Fllo has the most awesome lockoffs and so I'm thinking that might be our best bet unless she still fits in the keyfit... but if anyone here has experience with cars/seats in Iceland I'd love to hear your opinion. TIA!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: carseats for travel to Iceland

If she still fits in the Keyfit, I'd pack the base and take the seat on the plane.

If not, I would get a Cosco Scenera NEXT and a locking clip, which you might or might not need. It's under $50, only 7 pounds, and easy to use and install.

4. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Re: carseats for travel to Iceland

I second the keyfit. My daughter outgrew it by standing height and shell height at about the same time, and she is long in the torso. As long as your LO is still under 30" you should be fine. The baseless install on the plane is nice, but you may have to ask the person in the seat in front not to recline.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and a SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted soft carrier

6. Thank You from: