Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Can you recommend a convertible car seat for the center of a Nissan Altima

Hi car seat gurus. My daughter is outgrowing her infant car seat and I am researching my options for a convertible seat, which she will need very soon. I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the options available and hope you can help with some recommendations. We have a Nissan Altima and put the car seat in the center as she is our only child and it seems to be much safer that way. Unfortunately the latches don't work in the center of this car, so we just want something that's safe, secure, comfortable and not too expensive. The infant seat was a PITA to install, so something that isn't too complicated to install would be preferred, though we can always take it to a local car seat check if we need help. We are looking to spend no more that $200, but less is better. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Can you recommend a convertible car seat for the center of a Nissan Altima

How old, tall, and heavy is your child, and what seat is she outgrowing?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Thanks for your response. She is 20 months old, 22 lbs and I'm not sure how tall, though she is on the small side. It looks like she still has more than an inch left between her head and the top of the seat. She's using a Graco Snugride Classic Connect.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I am really lost. I really should have upgraded my daughter's seat last year so I hate to wait much longer. I also like the seats that are not buckets, like the Diono (though that brand is usually more than we want to spend and might be difficult to install in the center seat). Thanks in advance.

I'd look at the Graco Extend2Fit, Safety 1st Grow and Go/Grow and Go Air/Grow and Go EX Air, Graco Contender, COSCO Scenera Next.

She's outgrown her seat, so something soon would be good.

Make sure you use the seatbelt to install in the middle. You don't have lower anchors there.

Wendy

7. Thank You from:

I think you would be happy with the Evenflo SureRide65---I has high harness slots, not to heavy, and is easy to install with the seat belt and tether.

9. Thank You from:

The evenflo Sure ride 65 lasts for a long time rear facing, and has tall slots for forward facing---used it for both grandgirls and pleased with installing with the seat belts for center--

11. Thank You from:

Thank you both for your suggestions! They were extremely helpful. I have been researching the various models and I think I am between a Graco Extend2Fit and Safety 1st Grow and Go Ex Air. Graco seems to have a few more bells and whistles, but I am concerned about some of the reviews that say it puts the head/neck in an uncomfortable position. The air protector technology in the Safety 1st seems nice, but don't know if it's more of a gimmick that anything else. I do like the fact that both have extended rear facing and both have 4.5 star ratings on Amazon. The price is good for both. It's tough to make a decision!

Keep in mind that most people on Amazon have no idea about carseats, so I take those reviews with a huge grain of salt.

Either seat would work well, it will 100% be personal preference.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

14. Thank You from: