Question Just saw this article

Keeyamah

Looks like it was posted last year. Seems to be recommending that children be switched to a convertible seat at their first birthday, even if they still fit in the infant bucket.

https://mom.me/news/27083-new-report-says-babies-should-be-convertible-car-seat-age-1/

What do you all think? I skipped the bucket with both boys, went straight to a convertible. Didn't feel like spending the money on a seat I would only use for 6 months or less (until they were sitting with minimal support). I wore or carried them when grocery shopping, or used the shopping carts with the seat where the kid is laying down (haven't seen many of those anymore). By about 3 months, they could sit up with support, so the seat belt on the regular shopping cart seat worked great, made it nice and snug and it landed right under their armpits to hold them up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

flutie128

Well with my old two kids they were in a convertible by a year because they were just to heavy to carry around. My YDD is currently in one but it expires in August so she won't quiet be a year old at that point. My plan is to get through the winter and than get her a convertible to ride in.

Cnidaria

I personally think Consumer Reports came to the wrong conclusion. One-year-olds come in all different sizes. Their data suggest to me, that it might be best to switch to a convertible *before* kiddo is at the last moment of outgrowing the infant seat by where their head is in relation to the top of the shell...whether that happens at 6 months or 18 months.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I personally think Consumer Reports came to the wrong conclusion. One-year-olds come in all different sizes. Their data suggest to me, that it might be best to switch to a convertible *before* kiddo is at the last moment of outgrowing the infant seat by where their head is in relation to the top of the shell...whether that happens at 6 months or 18 months.

I agree.

Not all seats of a particular category are the same either. In particular, I wonder how rear-facing-only seats with load legs would compare to convertibles without them. It seems like kind of a big leap to say that children should move to convertibles at 1 year because SOME RFO seats have issues with the child's head hitting the front seat. SOME convertibles do too (although only one in the consumer reports study). So if you move from an infant seat that doesn't have that problem to a convertible that does, then you certainly aren't making the best decision for the child. Without more specific info, I don't feel like the recommendation makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC