2003 Durango

mommy2env

Okay, as you might already know, my sister is looking to buy a seat for my 3yr old nephew.

We are looking for the top tether. This is a 2003 Durango sxt. It has latch in both of the outboard seats. It only has a second row, no third row.

It would be easier to just look at the manual, but the moron cant find it.
So I am turning to you for help. I know it has them, because papooses showed me a quote from somewhere. But we are having trouble finding them. I looked my self (and took that opportunity to reinstall my nephews seat) and I cant find anything that resembles a tether.

Well at least not directly, behind the two outboard seats.

These are the pictures I took while messing around.

The first one is the gap between the seat and the cargo area.
1847.jpg

But then I noticed the back cargo area had these things that resembled a tether point. I am not sure, it might be a cargo hook or something. But I thought I would ask.

1846.jpg

Excuse the mess, for some reason she had powdered detergent all over the back. :eek:

1845.jpg

So I will try and find a manual, but for now, do any of you think that these hooks at the edge of the cargo area might be tether anchors?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Weird, the LATCH manual's Dodge section http://www.saferidenews.com/LATCH_manaul_updates/DODGE_6_07_web.pdf
indicates those metal squares are third row top tether anchors for the '03 model with a third row, and that second row top tether anchors would be on the second row seatbacks. :confused: Is it possible her Durango had the third row seats removed or swapped somehow into the second row? The vehicle manual would be really a good reference here, and also double check on the model year and model type. :) She might need to contact Dodge customer service (the tel. number and email address are listed at the beginning of the Dodge section of the LATCH manual) for clarification.

mommy2env

It is weird, she bought this car new form the dealer so I dont think that it was messed around with as far as the seats. :confused:

She did say they were given the option of the third row, but she didnt want it (she now regrets that) at the time. :rolleyes:

So, would you feel comfortable using those metal squares as tethers for the Regent? This is the only thing holding her back as far as buying the seat. And my nephew is getting close to outgrowing it.

Another question, if the car for some weird reason doesnt have the TA, can we have it installed? And how much would that run?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm honestly not comfortable with the idea of using the square metal rings in your picture as top tether anchors for the second row without clarification from the vehicle owner's manual/Dodge about them. :twocents: There is no entry for a 2003 Durango with 2 rows of seating, only the 3 row model, so it could simply be a case of a missing entry in the LATCH manual. :confused: Also, if you look at one of the earlier pages in the Dodge section of the LATCH manual, there is a note for the two row version '04-'05 Durango saying the cargo tie-downs are not top tether anchors and they're specifically marked not be used as tether anchors. :eek: Any LATCH manual entries for Durango versions from the 2001 and newer model years list the second row's factory equipped top tether anchor locations as being on the seatback, not on the cargo area floor.

I'm genuinely stumped based on the info. we have from the LATCH manual and your description/photos, and I'd want to be absolutely sure of what was what in her vehicle. :twocents: The actual vehicle manual would sure be helpful right now. :) :whistle:

P.S. The only mention of top tether anchor retrofits in the LATCH manual is for older models from the 1998 through 2000 model years, nothing is listed for retrofitting newer versions.

Laurenc0101

I have never before seen or been inside of a Dodge Durango, but I was just looking online at a manual and it showed the tethers on the seatback at the bottom. It did not give a specific year model though. You may have already done this, but did you look for "cover?" Sometimes the anchors are under a piece of material. In your first picture it kinda looks like the bottom of the seat has a seam. It that sealed? Did you feel around in that area? I am sorry if you already have or mentioned that you had searched there. I hope you are able to locate them. Do you think the dealership may know where they are?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Where is the vehicle manual :confused: It should indicate where the designated TAs are -- otherwise call the Dodge toll free customer service # for clarification & to request a manual....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC