Need Help Selecting a Convertible

Hi there,

It's been awhile since I have purchased a convertible car seat, so I'm a bit lost, I don't know the latest and greatest. My baby is 10 mos, average size and we have a 2015 Acura MDX. We don't have any other car seats in the car. I'm big into ERF. My oldest was 4 when I turned her FF. So, I would love a seat that can rear face for a long time, but still have support and be comfortable for her at 10 mos. I remember the Radian was very shallow, so I don't think I would go for that right now.

I would love some direction! Any convertible seat recommendations would great. I'm also interested in least toxic options as well!

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you give us stats? Height/weight or latest growth chart percentiles?

There are a lot of really long lasting seats on the market but growth curves determine which will last longest for a given child. Do you have a budget? What other features do you prefer?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally I prefer ARB because of the problems with tethering- mainly that so many vehicles don't allow it.

Some seats also have anti rebound design built into the base. So would that meet your purposes- any anti rebound design is what you're looking for?

From what I have read, a physical tether is best, and a rebound bar is second best. I'm not an expert on this, so I could be wrong. What problems are there with tethering if the vehicle allows it? Do you happen to know if it is allowed in the MDX? I did a search, and I don't see anything online either way.

Thanks again!

Dillipop

From what I have read, a physical tether is best, and a rebound bar is second best. I'm not an expert on this, so I could be wrong. What problems are there with tethering if the vehicle allows it? Do you happen to know if it is allowed in the MDX? I did a search, and I don't see anything online either way.

Thanks again!

Most manufacturers have gone to saying no to the rearfacing tether. I know Toyota and Dodge have both mixed it. Not sure if Acura/Honda allow it anymore.

The only seats on the market that allow rearface tethering anymore are the Diono seats and maybe the Coccoro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, the main issue is that in most cars you can't safely do it without affecting or potentially affecting airbags for the front seat now, and vehicles disallow it.

The other issue is that it may increase loads on the child's body according to one study at least. Whereas the ARB does not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC