Booster recommendations for 8 and 10ryr old please

glockchick

I've been gone for a long time. Got divorced and life got crazy for a while.

Anyway, I need booster recommendations for a 76 lb 8 yr old and a 97 lb 10 yr old. I haven't been keeping up with new seats.

Currently 8yr old is on the top setting of an evenflo cheapy with no head support and 10 yr old is in seat belt only. She fits ok in most seats, but it could be better. They're both in wrestling and we've been going to a lot of tournaments lately and they fall asleep and out of position so I need good support. Vehicle is a 2006 suburban. I prefer narrower seat size but it's not necessary as both kids are pretty good sized. I tried to upload a pic for reference but it's not working.

Thanks in advance!

(Posting then going to update my super old signature!)

ADS

abigaylebelle

I'm in the same boat looking at boosters for my almost 10 year old.
Do you need highback? If not I saw the Chicco Kidfit is being sold as a backless only at target now. It seems pretty comfortable and deep.
Otherwise we are trying an incognito for ds but it's a little deep for his legs (size 8 pants). It might work for a taller kid though.

Dillipop

Do you have headrests? Incognito and Cardiff headrest for the oldest, possibly for the youngest too. Or Recaro performance booster, Britax Parkway for the younger one- both go pretty high and don't require vehicle support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glockchick

Do you have headrests? Incognito and Cardiff headrest for the oldest, possibly for the youngest too. Or Recaro performance booster, Britax Parkway for the younger one- both go pretty high and don't require vehicle support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have headrests :)

U

Unregistered

We just posted recently with the same issue, a high back for our 9 year old daughter. You probably won't have the vehicle headroom restrictions we faced with a sedan.

We found that it was the Britax Parkway/Frontiers and Diono Monterey that gave that little extra height adjustment for taller kids. I'm sure there are a few others as well. I would say the Monterey for value/comfort, but I am told that it does require vehicle headrests, which probably necessitates a vehicle trial.

Funny how trying things can really enlighten you. We found that we could squeeze a few more months in a Chicco Kidfit when our taller boosters would no longer fit the vehicle. I guess every situation is unique. Best of luck.

Best,

Mike

Mary_Ann

Another vote for the incognito + Cardiff Headrest.

I tried the Cardiff Headrest myself during a 1800 miles trip and loved it!

Envoyé de mon LG-D852 en utilisant Tapatalk

Athena

For the 8yo, I'd try a PKWY because it offers good wings for sleeping support (my DD fell asleep in it on her very 1st ever booster outing and stayed in position). If he's still in a shorter booster now, he'd have some growing room in it and it's a nice narrow booster on the outside for fitting someone beside it, yet surprisingly roomy inside it. My DD tried another booster recently, only to find it squished her, whereas the PKWY still feels comfy and plenty roomy even now that she's almost outgrown it by height. For the 10yo .. for a kid who is close to 5 stepping, the incognito is the only good option I know of and works great, but maybe in your case with the cardiff others are suggesting. My kid wasn't falling asleep by that age, so I haven't tried the cardiff myself, but it sounds useful.

If not I saw the Chicco Kidfit is being sold as a backless only at target now.

The kidfit is available backless? I can't find it on target's site. :( I had wondered why they weren't selling it backless since for many of us that short back would be useless, but that deep backless would be nice. When/where did you see it??? P.S. Were you thinking of the go fit?

Last edited:

aeormsby

If you can get your hands on one of the original Frontiers they are still the tallest boosters out there I believe. My DD who turns 11 next week and 5-steps in some/most vehicles at this point still fits comfortably in the Frontier (as a booster) in our truck. If the roof was higher she'd last for a couple more years probably but it will probably max out vehicle headroom within the next year. For reference she was felt squished in her Parkway last time we used the back 1-1.5 years ago. She's about 80lbs and almost 4'-9".

abigaylebelle

Yes! The chicco go fit. I saw it in my local target aisle. It looks just like the Kidfit backless but I didn't measure it or anything. There could be some differences I am unaware of.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC