travel booster for 5YO

tadc

Hi again all - we're planning an overseas trip this July with son who will be about 5.5 at the time. He's currently 45 lbs and... well I don't know how tall, but pretty big.

Last trip we lugged our Radian RXT all over creation, and I'd really like to avoid that this time around.

What would you recommend for a booster that's easy to travel with and rated for airplane use?

Thanks!

ADS

tadc

Well I'm assuming that a BPB is going to be more portable, but I'm not sure how that would work with regard to airplane use (with only a lap belt).

Basically I'm looking for the most portable option that still provides a high level of safety. Ideally we'd chose one that's more "universal" in fit (for the car), since we'll be traveling in taxis/rental cars where we won't have an opportunity to test-fit the seat.

Additional info, DS is:

45 Lbs
45 in tall
25.5 in torso

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I just realized I may have posted this in the wrong forum... should this move "up" to the general questions forum?

lgenne

Not necessarily, specifically because belt positioning boosters can't be used in flight.

Reasonable options:

1) Get a lightweight harnessed seat, like the Evenflo Maestro (only harnesses to 50 pounds) or Evenflo Sureride (harness forever if you want, can't be used as a belt positioning booster).
2) Get the Yumi Folding Booster. Put it in the overhead bin.
3) Get a backless booster. Probably a reasonable choice if there will only be short drives, especially if an adult will be in the back seat for reminders.

Dillipop

For an overseas trip with taxi rides, I would personally choose a backless booster for your trip. My daughter is 6 and about that size and the belt fits her well in most backless boosters we've tried. She rides in a backless most of the time around town, if one is available.

I would personally get a bubblebum for the trip. We have 2 and they give consistently good belt fit for all ages in a variety of vehicles. They are lightweight and deflate for travel, making it easy to carry one on a backpack every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tadc

Thanks for the replies.

So for the airplane, the choice is either a harnessed seat or no seat at all, correct?

We'll be traveling several hours by car, so I wouldn't categorize it as short drives.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC