Using up the RF limits in a 3 in 1

U

Unregistered

I have a 7 year old rear facing who has not reached the 44 lb or height limit on our 3 in 1 convertible yet. We will turn around once those limits are reached. Is there any reason given these circumstances that the Diono won't work as a FF 5 point harness or for very long? I haven't scoured car seats for a long time now and thought, being at the turn around RF limit, we would not have much time left height wise to use this seat FF (weight wise we have another 15-20 lbs). It is not a huge deal as we have gotten our money's worth out of it, but I am not ready to use a booster by any stretch. I would be interested in others' experiences. Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At seven it'd be completely fine to forward face, or move to a booster if your child is over 40 pounds. Don't forget the height limit on a Diono is 44 inches OR 1.5" of shell above the head, whichever comes first, or 40 or 45 or 50 pounds, depending on which Diono. Forward facing the limit is shoulders at the top slots, 57", or tops of the ears over the top of the shell. Whichever comes first. Depending on which Diono, you may never use it as a booster, since some are completely not recommended due to a poor belt fit, and all of them have a 50 pound minimum for booster use.

But at seven a child is completely safe forward facing in a harness or in a booster seat if they're over 40 pounds. My seven year old is not rear facing, and I have no worries about that.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks Wendy, I know we have some wiggle room on height, too. Small child! I just would prefer to keep this seat until we high back booster if possible, instead of investing in another FF with a higher limit, but don't want to booster now. I don't our Diono boosters at all. We are still happy with RF, in fact a lot of things are easier and better that way (play and reading room with a backboarding seat and cosier to nap in), so we are in no rush to FF. But thanks for the safety comments, happy to hear it! We have also boostered twice when it was the only option and that worked fine too in a pinch, but won't do that if we can avoid it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC