Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

What High Back Booster Seat to Buy for Three Across

Hello!

I have two kids (ages 5 and 2) and am expecting a third in a few months and would like to find a way to do three across in a 2013 Toyota Highlander.

I currently have two Britax Marathons (one is a clicktight, the other is the older model). My 5 y.o. daughter is just barely 40 lbs. and my 2 y.o. is 29 lbs. I have a Britax B-Safe infant seat from my son and would like to use that for my new baby, one of the Marathons for my son, and purchase a high back booster seat for my daughter. I am hoping to put the booster seat in the middle and the other seats on either side.

From the research that I have done, I am looking into getting an IMMI Go or a Maxi Cosi RodiFix for the middle. I really would prefer to keep my daughter in a five point harness if possible but I'm not finding a lot of booster options that have that feature.

Does anyone have any ideas for good boosters that will fit in the middle seat? Any boosters with a narrow profile that include a five point harness?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: What High Back Booster Seat to Buy for Three Across

Hi there.

Boosters don't have a five point harness, so that's why you may be having trouble finding something. You want a combination seat. The Graco Tranzitions/Wayz and Harmony Defender are very narrow harnessed seats that will become boosters later.

The ClickTight is narrower than the older style Marathon, so of the two I'd keep the ClickTight.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for your feedback. I have done some further research and it doesn't look like it's possible for me to put any harnessed seat in the middle seat of the Highlander because that seat does not have either latch or a top tether. I really don't want my 5 y.o. daughter to be in the third row if at all possible.

Do you have any recommendations for how I can fit three across (one booster or combination, one convertible for the 2 y.o., and one infant seat) in my vehicle, preferably using at least one of the seats I already have (Britax B-Safe, Britax Clicktight Marathon)? The two seats behind the passenger and driver have latch and top tethers.

It seems really difficult to fit even a regular booster in the middle seat. I tried a friend's Graco TurboBooster and it was impossible to fit with the Clicktight Marathon and the B-Safe.

Thank you so much for your insights!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Yeah, your middle seat is a bit of a joke seat. I don't know of anything that fits there. Even your B Safe without the base will probably bump up on one side or the other.

There is a top tether anchor for that middle seat, though. It's on pages 148, 149, and 156 of your car's manual. IF you could get something there, I'd look at narrow like the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz. But I really think that's a huge huge if.

Is your two year old rear or forward facing?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon