Question What High Back Booster Seat to Buy for Three Across

U

Unregistered

Hello!

I have two kids (ages 5 and 2) and am expecting a third in a few months and would like to find a way to do three across in a 2013 Toyota Highlander.

I currently have two Britax Marathons (one is a clicktight, the other is the older model). My 5 y.o. daughter is just barely 40 lbs. and my 2 y.o. is 29 lbs. I have a Britax B-Safe infant seat from my son and would like to use that for my new baby, one of the Marathons for my son, and purchase a high back booster seat for my daughter. I am hoping to put the booster seat in the middle and the other seats on either side.

From the research that I have done, I am looking into getting an IMMI Go or a Maxi Cosi RodiFix for the middle. I really would prefer to keep my daughter in a five point harness if possible but I'm not finding a lot of booster options that have that feature.

Does anyone have any ideas for good boosters that will fit in the middle seat? Any boosters with a narrow profile that include a five point harness?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Boosters don't have a five point harness, so that's why you may be having trouble finding something. You want a combination seat. The Graco Tranzitions/Wayz and Harmony Defender are very narrow harnessed seats that will become boosters later.

The ClickTight is narrower than the older style Marathon, so of the two I'd keep the ClickTight.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for your feedback. I have done some further research and it doesn't look like it's possible for me to put any harnessed seat in the middle seat of the Highlander because that seat does not have either latch or a top tether. I really don't want my 5 y.o. daughter to be in the third row if at all possible.

Do you have any recommendations for how I can fit three across (one booster or combination, one convertible for the 2 y.o., and one infant seat) in my vehicle, preferably using at least one of the seats I already have (Britax B-Safe, Britax Clicktight Marathon)? The two seats behind the passenger and driver have latch and top tethers.

It seems really difficult to fit even a regular booster in the middle seat. I tried a friend's Graco TurboBooster and it was impossible to fit with the Clicktight Marathon and the B-Safe.

Thank you so much for your insights!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, your middle seat is a bit of a joke seat. I don't know of anything that fits there. Even your B Safe without the base will probably bump up on one side or the other.

There is a top tether anchor for that middle seat, though. It's on pages 148, 149, and 156 of your car's manual. IF you could get something there, I'd look at narrow like the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz. But I really think that's a huge huge if.

Is your two year old rear or forward facing?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I'm following this thread because I, too, have a Toyota Highlander 2013 and will need to fit three across in a few months. I have a 50lb 6yr old and a 35lb 4yr old and will be expecting #3 in February. We travel A LOT in this car, several hours on highways to see family and this is the car we're in whenever we're going anywhere as a family. I'm curious what the previous poster ended up with in her similar situation earlier this year?

Our current setup is a Britax Marathon-70 for my young son and totally blanking on what my oldest is in, I think some kind of Graco convertible. They are both in the window seats and obviously it's not a problem. But with the addition of an infant seat I'm struggling on what can fit across. Our infant car seats are expired so I have to buy a new one, probably an infant seat Chicco KeyFit 30 or Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30. And I am resigned that the High Back Convertible we have will have to be put in the basement and replaced by a slimline high back booster. I'd prefer to keep the Britax Marathon 70, though.

I imagine three across like: <new infant seat>, <high back booster for oldest>, <Britax Marathon 70>

I figure by the time the baby grows out of the infant seat, my oldest will be almost-7 and in a backless booster which may save space and it will look like this: <rear facing Britax Marathon>, <backless booster>, <existing Graco convertible brought up from basement>.

Thanks, Steph

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC