Fit 4 Car Seats in 2013 Grand Caravan-Canada

rgraves

We have a 2013 Grand Caravan SXT. We are expecting our fourth child and I need some advice on how to fit 4 car seats in the van. Our other three children are 6yrs, 3yrs, and 16 months.

I'm figuring on having the younger 2 in the middle, so that's fine.

My concern is how to put two car seats in the 3rd row when there is only one top tether in the center position. We currently have our 6yr old in a Britax Frontier CT which I figured we'd move our 3yr old to and buy a new seat for the 6yr old.

Any recommendations on car seats for our 6 yr old that wouldn't need a top tether? Or any solutions you have for fitting the seats in?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Fit 4 Car Seats in 2013 Grand Caravan

All harnessed seats in Canada must be top tethered. That's been the law since 1989.

Your options are to move the kids around and put one or two rear facers in the third row, or put your six year old in a booster seat such as the Evenflo Big Kid, which is known to work well in that third row side seat. Is your six year old booster ready? Most are.

Wendy

rgraves

I think our 6 year old is ready. I like the harness just for extra tightness, however it seems that won't be an option unless we can get the manufacturer to put in another tether anchor.

Thanks for the booster seat recommendation and the idea of putting a rear facing child in the back. That will likely be difficult to do each time but it is an option if need be.

lgenne

Specifically, I think your reasonable options are:

1) Booster the 6 year old (3rd row passenger side) and use lower anchors to install a harnessed seat 3rd row. Use the tether anchor if it's forward facing.

2) Get a Cosco Scenera NEXT. Install it very upright, rear facing, 3rd row passenger side. (Very few rear facing seats actually work in this spot; the SN is an exception.) Whatever kid you put here must have good head control and be under 40 pounds and 40 inches, with the top of the head no taller than the top of the shell of the car seat. Then put another harnessed seat in the 3rd row installed with lower anchors (and tether, if forward facing.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC