best travel seat for RFing 40 lb 44 in 2.5 year old?

cwyn

Our DD will be 3 in several months, but has already outgrown RFing in her current carseat. We don't own a car and only need the carseat for occasional plane, taxi, and rental car travel (roughly six weeks per year). We'd like to get her RFing for at least another year, but I'm a bit lost trying to figure out which RFing seats for a kid as big as ours would actually be feasible for travel (e.g. fit in airplane seats, be easy to install in a number of different unpredictable vehicles). I also worry about weight--we bring our stroller just to haul the carseat, but have often been forced to check it at the airport entrance, and then have had to drag the carseat through the airport to get it to the plane--very unpleasant, and that was with the lightweight Sureride.

I have been looking at the Graco Extend2Fit, although I am not sure about this as a travel seat (weight, ease of install?). But I'm also not sure if there are any RFing seats for a kid our daughter's size that would be any more convenient for travel?

Thanks for reading my post and thanks in advance for any advice!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi!

You're right, there aren't really lightweight options for a kid that size. The Extend2Fit is at least compact front to back and not exceptionally difficult to install. If you want to remain rear facing, that's likely your best bet, and get a folding travel cart to haul it.

If you choose to forward face, which is a completely reasonable choice at her size and age, there are more lightweight options though most aren't very much less bulky honestly.

cwyn

Thanks for the response, ketchupqueen--I ended up ordering the Graco Extend2Fit and just from looking at it and playing around without (without the kiddo), I'm pretty happy with it. It is heavier than the Sureride, but not as much heavier as I had thought it would be, and it looks like it will fit in the same kinds of seats at the Sureride--I did various measurements so I think we will be able to install the Extend2Fit either FF or RF even in a bulkhead seat, since we were able to do that with the Sureride. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC