Question Middle back row 07 Van Saturn (GMC) FF seat install problems

Widget

I want to install an FF Dorel ('10 Alpha Omega Elite Deluxe 3 in 1 All Terrain) in the back row of my 07 Saturn minivan (same as the Pontiac Montana or the Chevy Venture). The only FF anchor in the back/rear row is in the middle, but the area for a seat there is very narrow between the seat belt and the buckle, and where the top of the seat belt comes out of the back of the seat.
I can get a tight install when the car seat is pushed all the way back, but it is simple to slide the front of the car seat forward a bit and then it's really sloppy.
Is this just not a seat that can go here? My Safety 1st Complete Air of the same vintage is wider at the base and cannot fit there.
The child riding is at the top for the seat FF, but could ride in it as a booster if he had to. He is too small for the Britax high back booster the other child riding in the rear row outboard position is in (necessary because it needs a head rest behind it and there's no headrest in the middle).
I considered the Britax Frontier since this child isn't ready to sit still in a booster, but don't want to fork the $450 CAD if it won't fit in the rear row.
I have photos to show the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

lgenne

You're trying to buckle a booster next to it, correct?

I would try a Graco Tranzitions/Wayz (same seat/different retailers) or an Evenflo Sureride. The Graco is narrow overall; the Sureride is wider, but sits up on a super narrow base.

Alpha Omegas should never be used as boosters. Their belt fit is terrible.

Widget

Yes, trying to buckle a booster next to it.

When I'm installing the Alpha Omega, I've been shoving the car seat back so the back of the carseat is flush with the vehicle seat and the bottom is not flat, then it has room to slide forward on the slippery seat and have the bottom flat and be sloppy. Should I be installing the car seat with just the back of it touching the vehicle seat and the seat bottom flat? Or do I need to use a towel or something?

lgenne

I'll defer to a tech on that. But the Alpha Omegas are really wide. Given that the kid you want to put in it is at the limits of the harness anyway, I would look for something else.

Widget

Any suggestions on a narrow harness seat that would last us longer?
The highest slot is 17.5" (and we are almost at that).
Child is just 40 lbs, 44" tall; really long in torso and really short thighs.
With thanks!

lgenne

The Sureride has some of the tallest top harness slots on the market. Only the Britax combination seats are taller, and not by much.

Widget

The Sureride has some of the tallest top harness slots on the market. Only the Britax combination seats are taller, and not by much.

Thank you for the recommendation. The sureride installed excellent in that awkward spot. I can't get my HBB beside it, but a LBB will work fine. Or a small adult.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC