Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help choosing booster for middle seat, second row Odyssey

My children are 7, 4.5 and 1.5 years old. I drive a 2012 Honda Odyssey. I need a booster to fit in the center seat, second row.

The 7 year old currently rides outboard in a Britax Frotier (5 point harness), the 4.5 year old is in the center seat in a Diono Radian RXT (5 point harness) and the baby is outboard in an Evenflo Triumph (RFing). My 4.5 year old is outgrowing the harness of the Diono (he has a long torso) and the 7 year old desperately wants to ride in a belt positioning booster. She has been sitting in a booster in our secondary vehicle for short trips around town for about a year and a half and does just fine.

I want to move the 4.5 year old to the Britax Frotier, keep the baby in the Evenflo Triump RFing or in the Diono RFing. What booster will fit in the center seat, middle row of my Odyssey well? Can my 7 year old use a backless booster at this age? Or should she have high back booster?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by kld182; 12-31-2016 at 04:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Help choosing booster for middle seat, second row Odyssey

That seat doesn't do great with a backless booster unfortunately. The Maxi-Cosi Rodifix works there, though anything is difficult to buckle in that spot. You'd likely need something like the Lulabloc to hold the buckle up for longer term use.

An easier solution might be to put the rear-facing child center if you can find something to work (a radian won't work rear facing there.)

Be aware of the recall on the second row seats; you'll need to check that they are locked down each time a child rides in them. Until the recall is fixed you may want to move as many as possible to the third row seats.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!