Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Canada Adding a 4th tether 2015 dodge caravan. - Canada

Hi
    I have a 2015 Dodge Caravan fold down seats. It has 2 tethers in the front seats and 1 tether in the back middle seat. I need a 4th one for the back can i just buy one and have installed?
    Ages of children: 3.5yrs, 18 mos, 18 mos and newborn
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Adding a 4th tether 2015 dodge caravan. - Canada

Hi! There are no approved retrofits for tether anchors for your vehicle. The good news is that you probably don't need any. You only need them for forward facing harnessed seats, and ideally 3 (or even 4!) of your children would rear face for awhile still. By the time you need to turn the toddlers around, the oldest should be booster ready.

Getting car seats to work in your 3rd row can be a little bit tricky. Can you tell us weights and shirt sizes for the children, along with details on any car seats you already have? And what's a comfortable budget if you need any new seats?

Unregistered

Hi
    Thanks for the response. My kids are very small especially my oldest (3.5yr) who fits into size 2t and weighs 28lbs. My two other boys are 18 months 22 and 24lbs each last they were checked.
    I will have to put one of the twins in the back rear facing and will be impossible to get my oldest in the middle unless he tries to climb through the trunk but then will be very difficult to strap him in?
    Our carseats are larger but not sure how sizes will make much a difference for us? Babytrend stage 1 baby carseat, 2 graco 4ever all in 1, 1 graco multi stage.
    Thanks any help is appreciated since 4 th baby will be here soon
    Sheena

CPS Fanatic

Ok, so I don't think any of those will work outboard 3rd row, other than maybe the infant seat, which is probably not the way you want to go.

I would get a Cosco Scenera NEXT (currently less than CDN$75 at http://www.walmart.ca/search/cosco%20scenera%20next
    --the solid color ones have nicer fabric than the prints). It's one of the few convertible car seats that work in those outboard positions.

You'll need to load through the tailgate, and you might find that it's easiest to just load 2 kids rear facing back there, rather than try to reach a forward facing kid when you're already loading one kid through the hatch. So a Scenera NEXT passenger side, and probably a 4Ever installed with lower anchors in the 3rd row. Then the baby and whatever other kid and whatever car seat you want in the captain's chairs.

Note that the Scenera NEXT has to be installed very upright back there, so it shouldn't be used for the newborn until s/he has good head control. (Upright installation is allowed, with the head control caveat.)

Unregistered

Ok thanks so much. I guess in a couple years we will need to buy a new vehicle once all kids are forward facing if my oldest isnt heavy enough? Do you know of vehicles with 4 tethers?

Unregistered

Also, just to be clear...if i put the twins rear facing in the 3rd row 1 would be using tether in seats and the other we would use the seatbelt?
    Thanks

CPS Fanatic

Here are some photos of a well installed Scenera NEXT passenger side 3rd row in a Town & Country:

Unregistered

Hey! I came across this while figuring out the same situation. 4yr old, 2.5yr twins and a newborn on the way. I know this post is dated but wondered if you found a solution or if you needed to upgrade vehicles.