Question Mold on infant car seat. New?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My sister is due next month. They got the infant car seat from storage at her in-laws' and it had mold on it.

1. The seat is a Britax B-Safe, which also isn't supposed to be machine-washed. If they hand wash it is it safe to use if it had mold on it? What about if they go against the manufacturers' instructions and clean it in a washing machine?

2. My sister is leaning toward getting a new seat. I am looking into options to buy for her. What would you recommend? They have a B-agile stroller, but they are thinking of getting a double anyway and so easy travel systems are a plus. They just bought a forester, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

MamaChirpy

Personally I hate the thought of mold so if she can buy a new one, I would buy a new one.

BabiesRUs does their trade in in either January or February. She could trade the moldy seat for a discount on a new one.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It's on the cover only?

Hard to say for sure. That's what they think. Do you think they should just get a new cover? I guess I would be concerned about spores having gotten into the foam and whatnot.

Dillipop

Hard to say for sure. That's what they think. Do you think they should just get a new cover? I guess I would be concerned about spores having gotten into the foam and whatnot.

I'd have to see it to make a determination. New cover and straps with a wipe down of the hard foam and plastic with a mild soap/water solution and then sitting out in the sun for a couple days might be enough for me to use it again if the only mold I saw was on the cover or straps. But it would totally depend on how much there is, where it is on the cover, etc.

laurengt

I would be inclined to buy a new seat. Breathing in mold is bad for anyone but even more so for infants. I wouldn't risk it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Besides the breathing issues I'd be concerned with integrity and there's no safe way to really disinfect mold from a shell. I'd replace.

krasota

I wasn't willing to risk mold for two reasons:
1) It's hard to remove from textiles and it's not good for anyone to breathe
and
2) I have no way of knowing if there is mold within the webbing of the straps. It my case, the seat was a convertible. I could replace the harness, but not the tether anchor. Mold destroys textiles, to it just made sense to pitch and replace.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC