Debating moving to a high back booster

roses25

We do a lot of traveling in our car (frequent long distances due to living in a rural community). I recently got a Chrysler Town and County Mini Van. My only disappointment that I discovered when we left the lot as we installed the car seats was that it only has one teether for the very back seats. I have three kids (all currently in 5 point harnesses). One is 4 and 30 pounds, one is 5 and 36 pounds, and the other is 7 and 43 pounds. The two older ones really want to sit in the very back next to each other. Technically, according to the law and car seat requirements my 7 year old could be in a high back booster seat to make this work. I'm a strong believer in extended rear facing and rear faced everyone until 4 or 5 and also 5 point harnesses as long as possible. I could put my youngest in the very back and let the older two sit in the middle seats (everyone in 5 point harnesses) or I could leave my oldest in the back with a 5 point harness and move the next oldest into the middle seat with a 5 point harness.

Would you put this 7 year old 43 pounder in a high back booster seat to make these kids happy or would you keep him in a point harness? My mind is telling me that the 5 point harness is worth upsetting them and just letting it not be a choice for them. But if he's just as safe in a booster seat then why not let him sit in one. He is 7 1/2 years old, sits well in the car, and is very mature for his age if this matters.

Carolyn

ADS

rachelandtyke

It sounds like your oldest is old enough, big enough, and mature enough to safely ride in a high back booster. I know how hard it can be as a parent to first move a child out of a five point harness and into a booster seat! There comes a point where one isn't statistically safer than the other as long as the child fits well in the booster and will stay in position. In this situation, I wouldn't hesitate to move him into a high back at all.

lgenne

Agreed. But that 3rd row is tricky, so some specifics:

1) Buckling a booster right next to another car seat gets tricky. Since your kids are lightweights, you should be able to use lower anchors to install the car seat for the 5 year old and leave plenty of buckling room for the oldest, unless you have an extremely heavy harnessed seat.
2) Those outboard seats have a shoulder belt that is really far forward, and doesn't play well with the belt guide on lots of high back boosters. It does work well with the Evenflo Big Kid.

MamaChirpy

I would move the oldest into a booster to make the kids happy. [emoji4]
I agree, he is probably ready for one.

Just make sure to try a booster before you buy it (or buy somewhere you can return it) because boosters can be a pain in certain seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC