Debating moving to a high back booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

roses25

We do a lot of traveling in our car (frequent long distances due to living in a rural community). I recently got a Chrysler Town and County Mini Van. My only disappointment that I discovered when we left the lot as we installed the car seats was that it only has one teether for the very back seats. I have three kids (all currently in 5 point harnesses). One is 4 and 30 pounds, one is 5 and 36 pounds, and the other is 7 and 43 pounds. The two older ones really want to sit in the very back next to each other. Technically, according to the law and car seat requirements my 7 year old could be in a high back booster seat to make this work. I'm a strong believer in extended rear facing and rear faced everyone until 4 or 5 and also 5 point harnesses as long as possible. I could put my youngest in the very back and let the older two sit in the middle seats (everyone in 5 point harnesses) or I could leave my oldest in the back with a 5 point harness and move the next oldest into the middle seat with a 5 point harness.

Would you put this 7 year old 43 pounder in a high back booster seat to make these kids happy or would you keep him in a point harness? My mind is telling me that the 5 point harness is worth upsetting them and just letting it not be a choice for them.

Carolyn

ADS

Keeyamah

My oldest is also 7( though much heavier at 55-60lbs, I forget exactly how much) and is in HBB in my car, a LBB in my mom's and when I get a new vehicle with headrests, will be in a LBB in mine as well (he is on the top height setting of his booster). So, yes, I would put a 7 yr old that is over 40lbs in a HBB.

The only kicker will be getting one that works in that van in the third row, as it, if I recall correctly, is not very booster friendly. I do believe the Evenflo Big Kid Amp works well in HBB mode back there. It's what my oldest is in and it has worked well for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC