Well I tried to help...

littleangelfire

I just got home from major grocery shopping at Walmart. While I was there I slid through the kid/baby department. Hey - I had a legitimate reason to be there, Dylan needs winter clothes. :p

I saw 2 guys come to the end of the car seat aisle, where the boosters are, specifically, the cheap no back boosters. They were just kind of standing there staring for a while, so finally I got my gumption up and asked them if they needed any help picking out a car seat. One man said he needed to get a seat for his 2 year old son, who was almost 40lbs, and not quite as tall as my son, he said. So, I of course, quickly told him that you can't put a 2 year old in a booster at all, let alone a no back booster. I told him there was only one harnessed seat that was going to hold his child available at Walmart, but that Walmart STILL doesn't have the Triumph Advance, so I told him I knew the Target across the street had them, for $130. And I could just see in his face how stupid he thought it would be to spend $130 for a seat that he says never gets used. He says this is the first time he's taken his son anywhere in 3 months, and that's normal. So I let him know it only takes once, and that stats say greater than 80% (I couldn't remember the exact stat, but was almost positive it was greater than 80) of accidents happen within 5 miles of home, since he said he just had to take the kid 3 miles. I brought up how we pay for car insurance every month and almost never use it...and we when we do have to use it we get penalized for it. I tole him an Apex65 would work, and told him the Sears Grand down the street had them. And he just kept saying he didn't have much time.

I could tell he was way past done listening. I reminded him it was against the law in Kansas to put a 2 year old in a booster seat, that didn't seem to phase him. Oh yeah - his other big thing - he drives a truck and intends to put the seat in the jump seat. I told him you can't put a car seat or a booster in a jump seat, it would have to go in the front seat. I also told him he couldn't put a booster seat in using just a lap belt. He kept saying he didn't have any room in the seat for a car seat. I guess he must've meant there was no room in the jump seat? Cuz when we've had to we have put car seats in my stepdad's little Nissan Frontier.

Anyways. I went on about my business, and less than 30 seconds later saw go the opposite direction with a no back turbo booster, cuz you know, since it says like 30lbs and up it must be ok, right?
UGH!

Yeah, I know, I tried, and I can't win 'em all, but sheesh!

On a happier note - I emailed a lady giving away a Century car seat on freecycle this morning (and the harness strap was broke, she thought you could order a new one she said in the post) and let her know you can't order a new one, Century doesn't make seats anymore, its expired, blah blah blah. She took the listing off and emailed me to say its now sitting outside on her curb in a bag awaiting the garbage pickup today! Yeehaw!~

ADS

ajnashmom

You cant win them all but you get an E...or is it A???? well, whatever the saying is for Effort.

Yay, on the email.

I wish everyone would listen :)

MomToEliEm

I think you provided as much info as you could. He just wasn't willing to listen. He had his mind set on paying $20 for a backless booster and wasn't going to pay any more or find a better location to install the seat (one with a shoulder belt at least). Hopefully that child is never in an accident.

littleangelfire

That's why I tried to get it through to him that it only takes once...and he kept just saying how he almost never had him riding with him. Well duh! If he rides with him at all....And I couldn't get at all why he couldn't just put the seat in the front seat of the truck rather than the jump seat? I'm guessing he was planning on transporting someone else, and that was why.

wondering1

I use this stat: The #1 cause of death for people aged 1 to 34 is car accident.
I also say that 90-95% of child restraints are installed or used improperly.

littleangelfire

I have to try and remember all that stuff. When I'm on the spot its like a lot of stuff goes out of my head! I need a brochure. LOL But then, people don't read anyways these days. He would've gotten what he got no matter what probably, and hopefully he won't have to regret the decision. Responses like his make me stutter a little, too, I'm just always shocked that people fail to comprehend what to me seems like common sense.
Amy

southpawboston

I have to try and remember all that stuff. When I'm on the spot its like a lot of stuff goes out of my head! I need a brochure. LOL But then, people don't read anyways these days. He would've gotten what he got no matter what probably, and hopefully he won't have to regret the decision. Responses like his make me stutter a little, too, I'm just always shocked that people fail to comprehend what to me seems like common sense.
Amy

i think a *huge* part of it is that you are a stranger walking up to another stranger, and that puts off a lot of people. he has know idea what knowledge you have, and he doesn't see you as an authority figure. face it, a person sees the labels on the boxes that say good for 30 lbs and above, and then they encounter a stranger walking up to them who contradicts what's on the box. who should he believe? it's just human nature. i wouldn't necessarily consider people to be closed-minded in these situations. i've said it many times before, these people are not to be blamed, it's more the carseat makers themselves who continue to advertise (with authority, no less) that their products are good for a certain age and weight. we are taught in this society to believe the advertisements.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
If he only takes the kid every 3 months or so, then why couldn't he use the primary seat? You would think the mom (or caregiver, who knows, it could be the grandparents or an aunt/uncle or someone else) should be willing to share a seat with him if he only has the kid every 3 months! It sounds like he already had his mind made up. At least you tried! Of course, maybe the primary caregiver already has the kid in a booster seat since he is almost 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC