WWYD in this situation (3 across, LBB or Mifold in Europe, and what is safest for infant)

ilo

I'm posting here because this is a general safety question, but just so you know I'm located in Europe.

We are expecting a baby next spring, my ODD is almost 10 and using HBB, YDD is 2 and RF in Multitech. ODD is average sized and the lapbelt does not fit her well without booster. Our car (2015 Ford Mondeo) has fairly wide backseat, but isofix connectors and seatbelts are located closer to the middle seat than sides and there are no isofix in the middle. Also the left sideseat's seatbelt buggle crosses with centerseat's seatbelt and would be impossible to buggle it if centerseat has a carseat.

So one kid most likely baby will need isofix carseat on the left side. ODD needs something that is slim and she will sit either middle or right, YDD preferably would use multitech in the middle or right but if necessary we will get her a new RF seat. Multitech might not puzzle well in the middle but the part that touches the seat is slim and allowes room for ODD to buggle if we use it on the right side.

So my questions are:

1) would it be safe for ODD to use Mifold all the time? I don't like the LBB booster we have as extra and they are hard to find in Europe. Her Britax Kid and Concord HBBs will be too wide. I would be open for a really narrow HBB booster that works for older and taller kids, not sure they exist.

2) Is is safe for newborns to use a RF carseat instead of infant seat that can be carried? We do not use our car daily but might take longer trips next summer.

ADS

bubbaray

Mods, please move this to the international forum.

I suggest you PM Adventuredad or go to his website carseat.se he is more familiar with Euro cars and seats that most of us on this side of the pond.

ilo

Well should I edit my original post like this? I think these are more general safety questions, and I doubt Europeans have that much information about Mifold as I can not even order it here yet. Now there would be no mention where I'm located. I would prefer to get more opinions than only adventure dad's. I have nothing against him, I just remember that years ago (when we lived in US and I used to read this forum more) not everyone always agreed with him. I would love to get his point of view among other's.

Would it be safe for my average sized 10-year old to use Mifold all the time? Would bubble bum be better than Mifold? Would she be safer using regular LBB or HBB? She will most likely sit in the middle.

Is is equally safe for newborns to use a RF carseat (of course one that is made starting from newborn) instead of infant seat that can be carried? We will buy infant carrier if it is safer for newborns than RF seat.

lgenne

Backless is fine for a 10 year old. The Bubblebum gives a good fit pretty reliably; the Mifold is more kid/vehicle dependent.

Newborns can use any rear facing car seat that fits both the baby and the vehicle. Bear in mind that any car seat needs to be installed at a pretty reclined angle for newborns. Larger convertibles often take up more front to back space for newborns.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would not count on the Mifold for good fit or comfort. The Bubblebum gives more reliable good fit but may be too shallow for comfort at that age and size. If you can find another narrow backless booster with better support, I'd choose that

Keeyamah

With both of my boys, I skipped the infant bucket that can be carried. For me it was A) a cost saving for me (one less car seat to buy) and B) if I had used one, it only would have been for the first 6 months or less, until my boys could sit independently.

As for the backless issue, I'm not sure what is available over seas, but in regards to your oldest using one, I would have no problem with it. My oldest is 7, almost 4 ft 2 inches (looks like about 125cm?) and somewhere between 55-60 lbs (25-27kg, he varies a bit depending on the scale). He will be moving to a backless when I get a new car with headrests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC