BMW X5 (2012), can any seat safely install in the middle? - Canada

U

Unregistered

I am hoping to fit three across safely in the BMW X5.
I have a 5 and 6 year old both in FF 5 point harness and a baby on the way.

I will buy any 3 combo of seats to fit these three in the back seat. However, the centre seat is only 9.5 inches in between the belt buckles. How can ANY seat fit in there safely???

Please help.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: BMW X5 (2012), can any seat safely install in the middle?

Hi there.

Same way an adult fits there. The belt kind of wraps around.

What seats do you have for your older children, and how tall and heavy are they?

Are you looking for a convertible for the baby or a rear facing only seat?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

My 6 year old is currently in a Clek fllo.
My almost 5 year old is in a Britax Boulevard (not clicktight).

I was told by a cpst that the car seat base cannot sit on the belt buckles, it has to be in between the buckles which is why I thought it was impossible to fit.

I will buy any seats to fit. And I am not wedded to a bucket seat for the new baby. I could go straight to a rear face combo if necessary.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

A rear facing convertible may be what you want. A combination seat is forward facing only.

You could use your Fllo for the newborn, installed in the middle. You can't have the seat sitting on the buckle (because then you can't buckle), but just like you or me, it kind of goes around and holds the seat in. So that works.

Then for the older kids, you could look at Graco Tranzitions/Wayz or Harmony Defenders. They're narrow harnessed seats, and while I don't think your six year old likely needs to be harnessed for very long, in a tight three across that's generally easier, plus they then turn into narrow boosters.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC