Convertible or combination?

brooksfamily

DD turns 4 in Jan. She is small, and will easily fit in her convertibles until she's old enough for a booster. We plan to turn her at 4, because although she'd still be able to rf she is itching to turn around. While I'm not planing on replacing all her seats, because she rides regularly in 5 vehicles, but I was wondering if it is worth changing to combination seats in mine and my husband's cars. Or maybe even just mine. Does anyone prefer using a combination seat with the 4+ kiddos over a forward facing convertible? I know safety wise it's all the same, but I'm thinking from an ease of use standpoint.

ADS

abigaylebelle

I personally prefer to use convertibles for my forward facing kiddos. The kids seem more supported in the convertible and generally have more recline so they can nap in the car on long trips.

If I had to buy a new seat for a child over 4 then I might choose a combo seat. We have an Argos as an extra (usually for friends or niece). It's not very comfortable for sleeping and I find it rather bulky as a booster. The britax seats or the graco tranzitions might be better though.

brooksfamily

Thank you for the feedback. I def. don't have to buy one. She's only 32 lbs and 37 inches at 3.10 years. All of her convertibles should be able to keep her harnessed until she is ready for a booster. Really I just like buying new car seats. With all the black friday sales I was looking for an excuse to get her a new one.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you're looking for someone to encourage your 'habit' then I'll chime in that pretty soon (if not already) there will be a social component to harnessing. By 4 most kids are in convertibles. Since we all know WE don't move our kids to boosters that early, we have to rememver that our kiddos just see that they're in a 'baby seat' while their friends are in 'big kid' seats.

So there's no safety difference between FF convertible and combination seat in harness mode, kiddos are often happier to help choose a combination seat and ride in that. If your budget allows for it, and you want to spend the money, go for it! LOL

brooksfamily

CTPD mom...my husband would be so made at you for that comment ;-)

I think, since we're managing to keep her rearfacing in all but 1 of the 5 cars she rides in on a weekly basis hitting 4 and simply being able to turn her seats around should pacify her for a year. Then maybe at age 5 we can look at some harness to booster seats for our primary cars. One of her seats is a Diono Olympia so that one doesn't look as babyish as some of her other convertibles. Or maybe this summer I'll take the Graco Tranzitions from the sitter and put that in my car and leave it there.

My guess is it's going to take some time to hit 40 lbs and be booster ready maturity wise. She can be a bit of a pill in the car and thinks everything is a joke.

We are up to our ears in convertibles. We own 6 convertibles for 1 child, but they are all in use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC