News Server Move Complete

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I regret that I can no longer afford to keep the nice dedicated server we have been using for 4 years now. It had plenty of power for future growth and has worked almost flawlessly after some initial glitches. Unfortunately, traffic has slowly decreased for the last 3 years, to the point to where subscription and advertising revenues can no longer justify the cost.

So, the forum will be moving to a somewhat lower powered server next month. I expect this to happen over the weekend of December 2-4th. There should not be a significant downtime involved, but some visitors will see a read-only version of the old forum for up to 24-48 hours after the switch.

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Re: Car-Seat.Org Server Move

Update: Migration complete

The migration to the new server may occur as early as tonight.

The "old" forum on this server will be put into "read-only" mode for most members. Any new posts, edits, changes or other data entered after that time will be lost during the move.

Overnight, the information about the new server will propagate around the internet and most visitors should see the "new" live forum within 12-24 hours. For a few, it could take 2-3 days at most, depending on your internet service provider and how quickly they update their information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

If you are seeing this message, you are on the "NEW" server. You may post, send private messages, make edits and use all other features as you normally would.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

Switchover is now in progress. I am now automatically re-directed to this "NEW" server on my home network with Comcast and on my cellphone with AT&T.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

I'm on the new server without issues this time yay!

However pages seem to be loading much more slowly. Hopefully that clears up.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

The server is missing a key accelerator which was part of the reason things were delayed. They are installing a replacement soon I hope, though page loads seem normal here.

I should also mention that since this new server is essentially a downgrade, it could simply be a little slower. Technically, it could actually be faster, since it is 4 years newer hardware and since the extra resources of the previous server were not being utilized.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

I'm on the new server without issues this time yay!

However pages seem to be loading much more slowly. Hopefully that clears up.

A newer accelerator that is compatible with the new server is now running and everything is still well below maximum limits so it's looking good on the server side. How does it load for you now?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Don't know what changed but loading is as fast as I was accustomed to on most actions now. :)

I'm completely clueless on the technical side of forum operations, so just wanted to give you a big thanks and :thumbsup: for all you do to keep the site running!

Admin

Admin - Webmaster

Thank you all for your patience! Traffic has dropped considerably in 3 years, and I value participation by each and every loyal member that contributes to Car-Seat.Org! Not only for our community, but also for parents who, or one reason or another, just don't like to use facebook or don't want to have to create an account to ask a safety-related question.

I wish recent changes hadn't become necessary. Unfortunately, technology moves on and eventually everything online is obsolete. I hope this new setup runs at least as well as the old one, if not better, at least once all of us get used to it. Hopefully, this is the last change that should be needed for some time:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC