Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Car seats for travel

Looking for suggestions on buying a couple car seats for traveling. Last time we flew with the graco my size & the graco my ride. These are bulky seats. Looking for something easier, smaller, lighter and not too expensive. *bonus if you think I could fit both car seats in the same car seat travel bag.

2 trips one in February 1.5 hr flight and about an hr taxi ride. One in October 5 hr flight and 1 hr car ride. But will stay for about 2 weeks using a rental car.

My son just turned 5 yr old. Is 34lbs and 40" tall. Currently in a 5point harness. I'm unsure if I should get a 5 point or just get a high back booster. Since he will be about 6 on our last trip and I don't want to buy another car seat that I'm just going to have to replace soon.

My youngest son is 2.5. Mostly rear faces. (Except dads truck he FF & has no problem switching back) I was thinking a forward facing car seat is probably going to be smaller, so I will likely go with that.

Please tell me what I should look into. And any to avoid.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Car seats for travel

If the younger one is small enough, a rear-facing Scenera Next may actually be the smallest you can get, and lighter and cheaper than a forward facing seat.

For the older one, an Evenflo SecureKid is a good mix of tall harness, light, easy to install, and cheap, while becoming a booster later.

You could likely nest the two and use one Travelling Toddler, luggage cart, etc for the two seats.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Original poster. We are looking for one that will last awhile. I don't think the 2.5 yr old will still be rear facing at 3.5 when we do our long trip.

Carseat Crazy

You can do an Evenflo Sureride for your younger son. He can rf or ff in that seat. FF it will last a long time. For your older son, I'd look at light harness to booster seat. You can harness for the first trip and booster him on the second if he is ready. Evenlfo Securekid or Graco Tranzitions/Wayz would both work.