Car seats for travel

U

Unregistered

Looking for suggestions on buying a couple car seats for traveling. Last time we flew with the graco my size & the graco my ride. These are bulky seats. Looking for something easier, smaller, lighter and not too expensive. *bonus if you think I could fit both car seats in the same car seat travel bag.

2 trips one in February 1.5 hr flight and about an hr taxi ride. One in October 5 hr flight and 1 hr car ride. But will stay for about 2 weeks using a rental car.

My son just turned 5 yr old. Is 34lbs and 40" tall. Currently in a 5point harness. I'm unsure if I should get a 5 point or just get a high back booster. Since he will be about 6 on our last trip and I don't want to buy another car seat that I'm just going to have to replace soon.

My youngest son is 2.5. Mostly rear faces. (Except dads truck he FF & has no problem switching back) I was thinking a forward facing car seat is probably going to be smaller, so I will likely go with that.

Please tell me what I should look into. And any to avoid.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the younger one is small enough, a rear-facing Scenera Next may actually be the smallest you can get, and lighter and cheaper than a forward facing seat.

For the older one, an Evenflo SecureKid is a good mix of tall harness, light, easy to install, and cheap, while becoming a booster later.

You could likely nest the two and use one Travelling Toddler, luggage cart, etc for the two seats.

U

Unregistered

Original poster. We are looking for one that will last awhile. I don't think the 2.5 yr old will still be rear facing at 3.5 when we do our long trip.

brooksfamily

You can do an Evenflo Sureride for your younger son. He can rf or ff in that seat. FF it will last a long time. For your older son, I'd look at light harness to booster seat. You can harness for the first trip and booster him on the second if he is ready. Evenlfo Securekid or Graco Tranzitions/Wayz would both work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC