Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Convertible Carseat Medically Fragile

I am looking for suggestions for a convertible carseat for my 8 month old. She is 17lbs. She has an NG tube, severe reflux, an airway disorder and is having brain surgery in 6 weeks. She also needs good head support and likes cushion but does best when she is not squished too much. She is currently in a Chicco KeyFit30 and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I have friends who use Diono but thats not quite right for us. I was thinking of a Recaro or the Maxi Cosi Pria. Thank you in advance! I want my babe to be safe and comfortable.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Convertible Carseat Medically Fragile

Graco extend2fit is a good place to start.
    Boy A, 8, Girl M, 8, Girl C, 6, Girl B, 6,
    Girl L, 4, Girl F, 3, Girl E, 1.5, Boy B, 1
    Sureride, Milestone, Pioneer, MyFit and Bubble Bum

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I would probably not choose the Extend2Fit because of the way it can push the head forward. Ditto the Pria. The Recaro isn't something I'd pick for rear-facing either.

The Graco MyRide might be something to consider. What size clothing is she wearing?

How are you securing any medical equipment needed in the car?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Right now she is in 6-9month clothing. She has a feeding tube but we do not use it in transit. The feeding pump travels in its own backpack on the floor. We are fortunate enough to not need any other medical equipment yet.

Is the Pria easily adjustable in terms of seatbelt? One thing I like about the KeyFit30 is that I can loosen the straps all the way, put her in, and then tighten them appropriately.

Thank you!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I've heard mixed reviews on the Pria in that regard. When the TinyFit is in it is definitely difficult to adjust.

It also can push the head forward so I wouldn't recommend that one either.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I second the My Ride.
    Kelley- mom of seven!