Thoughts on using this tether anchor?

monzogary

Senior Community Member
OK, heres a WWYD - I have offered to carpool for my 4yo's preschool field trip tomorrow. I have myself, dd, and two other kids with their moms coming to put in my Ody. I have the Regent and one Wizard already installed for my 2 girls - Laura can ride in her sister's Regent and another child can ride in her Wiz, then I have another Wiz that I have installed on the back bench, passenger side. Now ideally, I would want to put the Wiz in the center back because the tether anchor back there is supposed to be for that position. However, if I do that the mom would be uncomfortable in the seat next to it. So, to see how it would look, I connected the tether of the Wiz on the passenger side to the center tether anchor that is off center towards the passenger side. Which would you feel ok doing, having the Wiz untethered, or tethering to the "wrong" anchor? Oh and if it matters, I'm pretty sure the child is over 40 lbs and is taller than my dd who is 39"+. Pic attached of off center tether.

Last edited:
ADS

ThreeBeans

Britax allows up to a 45 degree angle from center in the tether anchor location. It's not ideal, but given that Britax oks it I would probably be comfortable with it.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I know it would be a big PITB to get through to someone official at Honda to approve it, but shouldn't it be blessed by both the carseat manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer? Just thinking in terms of things like borrowing outboard lower LATCH anchors, which has to be approved by both manufacturers, KWIM? :twocents:

crunchierthanthou

What year is your ODY? I know models older than 2005 or so only have one anchor, but it can be moved (although, that's not exactly great when looking for a temporary solution). What does the vehicle owner's manual say about tethering from the outboard position?

monzogary

Senior Community Member
My Ody is an '05, so just the one non-moveable anchor back there (stupid!). I'm not sure I remember if the manual says anything about using the anchor for the outboard position - I will check my manual again when I go out in a while. This and the 40# limit for LATCh are the only big downfalls of this vehicle, I love it otherwise. Thanks for any and all input guys!

crunchierthanthou

I'd double check your manual. I know you can move it in the 2002 and 2004 and the 2006 is they first year they came with three tether anchors for the third row. Either they changed the 2005 only to change it again the next year (not unheard of) or you can move the anchor. Hopefully the latter is the case as moving it outboard may make more sense for having it on the rear sill anyway. That's such a silly place for the anchor.

Ahzryn

Unfortunately, the 2005 Ody is the evil red-headed step child...one anchor in the third row, can't be moved, can't add more. Honda quickly realized their mistake and fixed it in the 06 MY, but that doesn't help any 05 owners :(

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm the rogue one here... we were taught that seats need to be tethered to an anchor behind the same vehicle seat - slightly off center being ok, but a center anchor for an outboard seat or vice versa definitely not being ok.

I'd install it in the middle & try to make it work. I'm not real comfortable with an untethered seat since all our ff'ing seats have to be top tethered here, but the angle also doesn't fall within the guidelines we were taught.

So unless both manuals ok'ed it, I wouldn't do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC