A new misuse for me

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Doggy had chewed through the webbing on EVERY seatbelt such that the buckle tongue had been removed.... Mom & Dad somehow threaded them back on then TIED the 2 portions of webbing together into basic shoestring KNOTS @@ They wanted me to help them install carseats like this :eek::confused::thumbsdown: I simply had them sign the waiver stating that I could not safely install carseats in this vehicle + informed them of the importance of having a dealer replace their seatbelts immediately or find safer vehicle + to keep doggy in a crate in the trunk from now on! :( (vehicle too old for LATCH)

ADS

Morganthe

Yikes, who in their right mind would think that was ok?

Exactly!

When we brought our (now) auld-lady home from the Rescue farm in 1993, she was so upset at being secured in a harness + seatbelt, she actually sliced open the rear seatbelt with her teeth during the 20 minute drive home. She was so quiet about it, we didn't even realize what had happened until later. It looked as if she had taken a sharp knife to it. It was cut halfway across the belt width on the shoulder part.

I was not a good person :eek:

We had received the vehicle about 6 weeks prior. I told the dealership a fib. I said we hadn't used the rear seatbelt and had just noticed the cut. They replaced it without question under warranty. :eek:

All I can say is that we were very poor at the time. :eek: Our rental mobile home had bullet holes in it from previous occupants and I managed the entire winter on a single propane tank because it was too expensive to purchase more.

I wanted a dog because our first one was getting elderly and deaf. I needed another pair of eyes & ears to keep alert to our scary surroundings. My auld-lady was very much of a watch dog while we lived in that hell hole.
So Seatbelt vs. newly homed rescue dog = a good trade off. :thumbsup:

But I never would have thought of rigging anything like that and believing it was safe :eek:

Connor's Mom

I can't believe that someone would leave thier dog in the car unattended long enough to eat every seatbelt! Then the knot thing is just rediculous! Why would anyone actually think that would work?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I can't believe that someone would leave thier dog in the car unattended long enough to eat every seatbelt!

My dog can go through a seat belt in about twenty seconds. :whistle:

We left her in the van in her harness while we looked at some property a few years ago, with the side door open so she could get plenty of air and see/hear us. (We didn't want her out because the place was covered in cheetgrass (sp?) and she's got really long fur.) We'd barely walked away before she came bounding out after us, having chewed right through the vehicle seat belt. She just wasn't having none of that! :rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Dad was pretty darn sure it was OK because he made them so tight he couldn't undo the knot :doh:

My dog can go through a seat belt in about twenty seconds. :whistle:
Yeah, my puppy chewed all of our buckle stalks to bits within the time it took me to change Leila's diaper in the grass at the park -- which was one reason I traded the Subaru in for a Blazer.... Not the best trade in idea, though :rolleyes:

Jools: I just saw that :p Too ironic!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC