Checking a car seat

DisneylandMom

We aren't traveling for a few months. We have been planning to use our car seat on the airplane (Evenflo Maestro.)

But I am also liking the looks of the CARES harness for the plane.

We need our car seat at our destination though. I know bag checking a car seat is a big no-no. But what if it's in the original box? I mean, I highly doubt it was handled with care before it landed on our doorstep. So would it be safe to baggage check it like that?

Though I did find it odd that there was literally NO packing material in the box. Just the seat in a cardboard box, basically. Not sure how that's safe but I guess it must be.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I would just use it on the plane and save the trouble and expense of the CARES harness and checking the seat. The Maestro is nice and lightweight to move through the airport, and it will be familiar to your child.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If a seat absolutely must be checked, in a sturdy well fitting box (NOT the original as they may be only designed for one use), with added padding if possible, is the best of poor available options. It still opens you to the possibility of loss or damage.

The CARES has a very limited use of kids it actually fits (as it doesn't change lap belt fit.) and it is $$$.

My preference of options usually goes, in order of convenience and less risks:
1. Use seat on plane
2. Use CARES or belt only and have appropriate seat waiting at destination or bring Go or RSTV or booster that can be carried on
3. Use CARES or belt only and get seat once there (either other adult taking a cab while you wait, or taking public transport to a store, or public transport to hotel and one adult goes to store- but you run into risks in terms of available stores and seats)
4. Check in sturdy (preferably double wall), well fitting box with padding as appropriate and have a backup plan should seat be lost or damaged.

U

Unregistered

I've done #2 and while it was nice not to have to deal with a car seat while flying solo with my dd as far as getting through security and getting on and off the plane I would probably choose flying with a light car seat over using the CARES Harness again unless it was a really short flight during hours where I knew dd wouldn't be sleepy. DD fit in the harness perfectly fine, but kept sliding down because there is no crotch strap. I had to keep pushing her back up. On the flight back she was tired and miserable and the CARES Harness doesn't exactly lend itself to sleeping comfortably.

Of all the times I've flown with my dd she has been most comfortable rear facing in a car seat on the plane. She's almost 4, 37 inches and 30 ish pounds. We flew with the CARES Harness last spring. The flight was just over an hour.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC