Question Advice on new SUV - infant car seats friendly- for growing family

E

Evegc

I am in the process of buying a new car and would love your input... I have a 6 month-old baby, but am looking toward expanding my family in the years to come (up to 3 children).Therefore, I am looking for the best long-term buy for my current and future needs. I am contemplating a Subaru (Forester or Outback) or Honda CRV, but would love other suggestions if you have some. My biggest concern is that I want a safe vehicle (including in snowy conditions) with good crash tests results, but that also allows safe and easy installation of up to 3 car seats. My biggest concern with the Subaru is that the LATCH system is only designed for the window seats, as I want to keep my first born in the middle seat for as long as possible. Is using the safety belt as safe as the LATCH system? Is there a SUV that allows for the installation of 3 car seats using the LATCH system? If you were in my situation, what vehicle would you buy?

Thank you so much for your valuable input!

ADS

lgenne

Hi and welcome!

The CRV is notoriously awful for 3 across due to severe seat belt overlap: http://carseatblog.com/39344/a-cautionary-tale-of-car-buying/

LATCH is no safer than securing a car seat using a seat belt, assuming that you can get a good install using the seat belt. It's sometimes easier to get a good install with LATCH, but if you end up with a 3 across, you'll almost certainly want to install all 3 with seat belts anyway. Seat belt installs tend to give you a bit more space between car seats. And beyond a certain weight (combined weight of kid + car seat = 65 pounds) you have to install with the seat belt regardless.

I'm not aware of any vehicles that meet your criteria that allow 3 across all installed with LATCH, but it's also not necessary.

SavsMom

None of those listed will allow for 3 seats across all installed with latch, but keep in mind it's not really necessary and at some point latch can't be used due to weight limits. If three latch positions are a requirement for you, you will have to move up to a larger SUV like the Ford Expedition or a Toyota Sequoia (check to make sure they still have it).

If you can get by with outboard latch than the best bet of the three listed would likely be the Outback. It has great safety ratings, standard awd, and is tops in resale value if that's a concern. I loved my Outback, my parents just took delivery of their 6th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
With 3 kids, I honestly would go for a larger vehicle. We had an SUV in that class, and with 2 kids we found it tight. Were very happy to have the next class up once the third arrived. The Honda Pilot is larger, safe and awesome for car seats. And has a decent 3rd row that can be used for car seats too.

Evegc

Thank you everyone for your detailed (and fast!) replies! It is very helpful as I continue my search for the best car for our family needs. I didn't know that fastening a car seat with a seatbelt was as safe as with the LATCH system; I find it very reassuring, considering that so many cars don't allow safe installation with LATCH in the center position.

One further question: Are there any notable difference between the Subaru Forester and the Subaru Outback, as far as baby/infant car seats ease of installation? Thanks!

SavsMom

The Forester back seat is quite a bit smaller in terms of width (hip) and front to back (knee) space vs the Outback. For 1 or 2 kids I'd say the Forester is a great option but for 3 across I'd say, of the 2, the Outback is a much better choice (although for 3 I'd personally look at a Honda Pilot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aporthole

Even the larger Outback is EXTREMELY difficult for fitting 3 car seats. The curvature of the seat backs near the doors plays a role in limiting the usable width despite the actual seating surface being decently wide. I would not willingly buy any Subaru with the potential for 3 kids. A Honda Pilot or Acura MDX of any model year would be great. 2009 and newer for the Pilot is very roomy and fits 3 seats across the 2nd row so long as the seats aren't overly wide. The Toyota Sequoia is also great and has a ton of room.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC