Question how much longer before using LBB

mumof2

She turns 9 next month is approx 54" and approx 70lbs headrest is all the way up, booster is the diono monterey
megan booster.jpg

ADS

Dillipop

My kids are in NBB around age 8-9, even if they still fit in highbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeormsby

It's kind of hard to say without the belt on him (to see where the shoulder belt lies).

My kids also switched to LBB's around age 8 for our primary vehicles. Although both still use HBB's in our truck due to lack of headrests at almost 9 & 10yo.

mumof2

It's kind of hard to say without the belt on him (to see where the shoulder belt lies).

My kids also switched to LBB's around age 8 for our primary vehicles. Although both still use HBB's in our truck due to lack of headrests at almost 9 & 10yo.

Im looking at changing her to a half booster soon she has a camp in 4 weeks and I said she can take the half booster

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I find kids at that age/size may fit in either, so do what works for you. Although, my kid the same size, but a year older doesn't fit in any backless available in Canada well. The only one I haven't tried is the Solana which isn't readily available here. So I am basically keeping her in the highback until she barely fits, and hoping she will work better in a regular seatbelt then. I bought an Icognito which is saving the day in the vehicle where I wasn't going to spend money on another Parkway or Oobr when she is on the last click in each right now...but backless boosters fit her terribly; seat belt is too low on thighs.

They seem to make backless boosters for little kids and not actually for the kids that need them. Grrrr.

Last edited:

Athena

I don't understand the question. Do you want to know how much longer you can keep her in the HBB or are you looking to switch to back less because you are allowed to switch to backless before the back is outgrown, right?

I find kids at that age/size may fit in either, so do what works for you. Although, my kid the same size, but a year older doesn't fit in any backless available in Canada well. The only one I haven't tried is the Solana which isn't readily available here. So I am basically keeping her in the highback until she barely fits, and hoping she will work better in a regular seatbelt then. I bought an Icognito which is saving the day in the vehicle where I wasn't going to spend money on another Parkway or Oobr when she is on the last click in each right now...but backless boosters fit her terribly; seat belt is too low on thighs.

They seem to make backless boosters for little kids and not actually for the kids that need them. Grrrr.

I agree for a different reason, that they make the shoulder belt too far out on the shoulder of taller kids. It's so annoying! My DD is on the top Parkway click, yet the backless fit isn't good, so I'm really glad I kept the Frontier.

Regarding the Solano, I finally tried it the other day and the fit was horrible. For the first time, the lap belt was way down on the thighs, so if you already have that problem, I doubt it will help. HTH. Also, it's seriously huge. I doubt it fits between the buckles in many cars and my older, almost 57" kid was swimming in it. If she sat on the shoulder belt side, the shoulder belt fit was good, but if she scooted the several inches over to the other side, it was way off her shoulder. It's a shame because it was really nice in many ways, but so, so huge!

bnsnyde

jealous of that belt fit!
I would keep her in it.
Mine is 9 in a few weeks and we had a short booster so had to switch to low back. In our car she still fits our highback but my 10 YO fits none, not low back either and is in the seatbelt, though occasional Incognito and is I think 61.5"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC