9 too old for a 5-point?

megg0

My 9 year old is still riding harnessed in a Diono Radian RXT. My 7, 6, and 4 year olds also ride in the same seat. When I mentioned it to others they seemed shocked that my oldest was still harnessed. He's small for his age so he still fits within the parameters. He suffered a severe head injury at the age of 5. So I tend to sway on the cautious side. Please tell me I'm not the only paranoid mom!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
At nine years old, even if he is quite small, I would definitely be teaching him how to ride in a booster. He will need to learn to sit properly with a seatbelt and you don't want to be teaching him when he doesn't fit into any harnessed seats and you have no option.

ETA: there is nothing wrong with him continuing to use his harnessed seat until it is outgrown, but at his age there is no evidence that he would be less safe in a booster, provided that he can sit properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babyherder

Do whatever works as long as he fits. I tend to be lazy and not switch seats until I need to so I'd probably leave him harnessed but not for a safety reason.

bnsnyde

Our oldest was 8 and harnessed in the Frontier. He 5 stepped at 9. Totally depends on the kids. He is very tall, though. Outgrew the Diono-kind seat at age 3.5! Straps were never above his shoulders so we switched to the Frontier.

I loved the Diono seats for 3 in a row, and for many reasons. I miss those seats, actually!

Keeyamah

Does he have any developmental delays due to the previous head injury? That might entice me to keep a child harnessed longer, but once I manage to find a new vehicle, my oldest (7) will be allowed to move to a backless booster. He has been boostered full time since between 5.5-6 yrs old. I was worried that his ADHD would make him a difficult booster rider, but for all he can't sit still anywhere else, he behaves in the car.

While you may chose to keep him harnessed in your main vehicle, I agree with the others that would start booster training him for secondary cars or riding with friends.

Athena

It makes sense you'd have them all in the same seat and not change things if it's working and he still fits. The only surprising thing for me is that a 9yo fits in that seat. You're sure he fits by height?

At nine years old, even if he is quite small, I would definitely be teaching him how to ride in a booster. He will need to learn to sit properly with a seatbelt and you don't want to be teaching him when he doesn't fit into any harnessed seats and you have no option.

Although I see nothing wrong with putting him in a booster, I don't think it's a big deal to keep a kid in the harnessed seat until they outgrow it. My DD was harnessed until she outgrew her Frontier harness, but at 7 yo, I wasn't concerned about her misbehaving because she was plenty mature enough to be able to follow booster rules from ride #1 and understand the importance of car safety.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It makes sense you'd have them all in the same seat and not change things if it's working and he still fits. The only surprising thing for me is that a 9yo fits in that seat. You're sure he fits by height?

I'm also a little concerned that a 4yo and a 9yo (even a small one) are both properly fitted in the same seat. I can't imagine you're changing harness heights between children. I'm wondering if the 4 yo is too high or the 9 yo is too low.

But either way, if he has delays that are preventing him from boostering, and still truly fits in the seat properly, then it's ok to continue to harness. Though if his delays will continue, you'll want to start looking into a special needs seat. If no delays, then I also think beginning to get him ready to booster is a good thing.

Athena

I'm also a little concerned that a 4yo and a 9yo (even a small one) are both properly fitted in the same seat. I can't imagine you're changing harness heights between children. I'm wondering if the 4 yo is too high or the 9 yo is too low.

I thought we were talking about them all riding in the same model, but having 4 of those seats, each for that child. I think that's what the OP was saying. Sorry if my comment sounded otherwise and confused anyone.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I thought we were talking about them all riding in the same model, but having 4 of those seats, each for that child. I think that's what the OP was saying. Sorry if my comment sounded otherwise and confused anyone.

Oh! LOL Duh. That's probably what she means. Hopefully op will clarify.

amelia

My 8 1/2 year old just moved out of his Frontier in harness mode which he had loved. I got him the incognito backless booster as he started being embarrassed to be in a car seat when pretty much all of his friends were not even using boosters anymore. We also needed the frontier for my four year old so I could move our 12 month old into his Boulevard as she outgrew her Keyfit.

mum2two

I think it might be time to move him to a booster, he is perfectly safe in a booster and socially I think it's more appropriate. Also, if he rides with friends, most probably won't even be in a booster TBH. To allow him to also carpool with friends a booster is much easier.

I kept mine harnessed until about age 7.5 in a Frontier, then we used HBB for a few years, then backless.

At 10 they mostly 5 stepped, although my 10.5 year old is in an Incognito as it just boosts him a bit and he can see better. Even his 9 year old buddies who are smaller than him no longer ride in boosters.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC