Vehicle for up to 6 passengers?

K's Mama

We were planning on giving our current car one more winter, but now looks like we will be replacing it asap (apparently our winter tires are worn right down and replacing them for one season is kind of pointless - may as well buy a new vehicle now instead of waiting for spring).

We are a family of 4, but there are times that we would like to be able to take along a couple of other kids with us or my IL's so seating for 6 would be ideal. We are nearly out of the car/seat booster stage. DD is almost 11 and is in a LBB (and very close to 5 stepping in our vehicles). DS is 7.5 and prefers a HBB (but fits well in a LBB if we run into head rest issues). The other kids we would be taking with us both 5-step so no need for seats for them (ages 8.5 and 10.5). I need enough cargo room to haul at least 2 hockey bags as well.

We haven't been car shopping in 11 years so I have absolutely no idea what is out there. Any and all suggestions are welcome. We will probably buy new and haven't talked about budget yet - I'm thinking maybe up to $30 000. We are in Canada if that makes a difference.

ADS

bubbaray

You might be able to get a base model (FWD, not AWD or 4WD) of either a Highlander or Pilot for a little more than $30. A Dodge GC would be cheaper.

Seating 6 plus cargo room for hockey bags to me means either SUV or minivan

K's Mama

Seating 6 plus cargo room for hockey bags to me means either SUV or minivan

Yeah, that's kind of what we figured. Wasn't sure if there might be other options out there that we didn't know of. I'm leaning towards minivan for the sliding doors, DH would prefer an SUV...

bubbaray

If you are firm on the $30k budget and want new, I think your best bet will be a domestic minivan.

If you can up the budget to $35k you could probably get into an import FWD/base mid-sized SUV. If you want AWD, you will be closer to $40 for a base trim import SUV.

You could look at domestic mid sized SUVs, but they might not be much cheaper.

K's Mama

If you are firm on the $30k budget and want new, I think your best bet will be a domestic minivan.

If you can up the budget to $35k you could probably get into an import FWD/base mid-sized SUV. If you want AWD, you will be closer to $40 for a base trim import SUV.

You could look at domestic mid sized SUVs, but they might not be much cheaper.

Price isn't really firm. We'll pay what we have to (within reason) for something with good safety ratings. We'd prefer to be closer to $30, but realize we may have to move closer to the $40 range to get what we want.

Probably do some test driving tomorrow. Kia Sorento and Sedona, Honda Pilot and Odyssey, Toyota Highlander and Sienna, Hyundai Santa Fe and Nissan Pathfinder are on our short list. All seem to have good safety ratings on IIHS.

Thoughts on any of those?

K's Mama

Looked at a few things today. Ruled out the Santa Fe due to lack of cargo space.

Test drove the Pathfinder, Pilot and Odyssey. Odyssey is by far the cheapest and has the most cargo space, but I liked driving the Pathfinder the best - drove more like a car.

The all seem to have decent safety ratings - does anyone know about reliability of any of them? Also anyone have any they can comment on?

Nisky18

I would definitely look at Consumer Reports
They had an issue dealing with SUV s and vans that have third row seating.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nisky18

The May 2016 issue of Consumer Reportshas the best and worst of mini vans and suvs with third row seating. Check it out online.

K's Mama

I would definitely look at Consumer Reports
They had an issue dealing with SUV s and vans that have third row seating.

I don't have a subscription to Consumer Reports and don't have time to get to the library any time soon to look.

Care to share what their issue was with the 3rd row of seating?

Nisky18

2016 Toyota Highlander
Hybrid Limited V6 was one of the best vehicles with third row seating; 2016 Nissan Rogue; 2016 Nissan v6 Pathfinder but past reliability rating was sketchy; PS I also suggest you look at Edmunds. Com for rating and pricing info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC