Forward facing baby in front seat

Hazelandlucy

Today while driving down a 2 lane major road I saw a carseat in the front seat. I thought for a moment maybe it was a booster, but no it was very much a convertible with a 5 - 9 month forward facing baby in it. We were in traffic and I was able to watch the car a bit and the mother was tending to the baby so I am sure her rationale was wanting him next to her. I know rear facing in front of an airbag is deadly, but what about forward facing? Obviously he is way too young to FF, but besides that is the airbag still a risk?

ADS

katymyers

I think the airbag sensors can tell when a car seat is installed and the airbag gets turned off.

That's assuming there are sensors, older vehicles don't have them at all. It's not safe, not at all, especially for a child that young. I'd like to say it's better than a rear facing seat being put there but I don't know if it's really that much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would think it's less dangerous, for sure. The impact of an airbag on a RF seat is almost certainly deadly. Although in a child that young, both would be awful.

Keeyamah

That's assuming there are sensors, older vehicles don't have them at all. It's not safe, not at all, especially for a child that young. I'd like to say it's better than a rear facing seat being put there but I don't know if it's really that much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, the sensor in my moms van will indicate it's off when I'm sitting in it at my weight and on when it should be off.

Hazelandlucy

The car didn't look particularly new but not ancient either. Hopefully it had sensors! It was the most bizarre thing to see.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC